Sponsored by:

Any tips on buying used Boxster's

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 03:49 PM
Randel
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Any tips on buying used Boxster's

I'm looking to buy a used 97-99 boxster in the next 2 months and literally just started to research.

Does anyone have any good websites on things to check on common boxster problems to look for when purchasing used.

Also, what the reputable places (preferable in Chicago area) are to have the car inpected before purchase.

Any insite would be helpful
Old 05-13-2002, 10:46 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I would stay away from 1999's they have had some engine failures related to bad castings.

A good site is:

<a href="http://www.986board.com/board/986board.htm" target="_blank">http://www.986board.com/board/986board.htm</a>
Old 05-18-2002, 10:00 PM
Randel
3rd Gear

Paul,

Thanks for the reply... the 99 was the year I was eyeing to buy.

What is the recourse, if any regarding warranties would there be if there is engine problems like you described.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2002, 01:47 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

I believe the 99's only had a 2 year warranty.

There have been several threads on the board I mentioned in my last note concerning the failures and various owner's experiences in having them repaired.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:33 PM
Dennis in SE PA
Advanced

2000 on up had a 2.7 instead of a 2.5 and a 4 yeasr warranty.

Also check out

<a href="http://www.986board.com" target="_blank">http://www.986board.com</a>

tell 'em I sent ya!
Old 05-24-2002, 01:59 PM
Bill K
Intermediate

99's had a 4 year warrenty also.

Some 97's also had engine problems as well as the current 2.7 & 3.2 cars. Most blown engines were 99's though.

Porsche generally won't help anyone out of warrenty that isn't the original owner so the 99's are a risk unless you get an extended warrenty. Most cars blew the motors early(less than 20K miles), but I think there was one that blew at 70K miles.

The 2.7's are much nicer cars and you should be able to get a 2000 in the low 30's. Brand new 2002's are selling right near invoice so you may consider a new one if you were planning to spend somewhere in the 30's.

I would wait until Sept when the 2003's are released with the updates and more power. This will depress the values of the older cars further and dealers will be even more willing to sell 2002's at lower prices. BTW - some dealers still even have 2001's on the lot... It is a buyer's market so great deals are to be had out there.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 05-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Randel
3rd Gear

Bill,

I was looking to spend $33K for a '99 and what I'm seeing around Chicago is listing aroung 35K+ ('97's are listing for $30k which seems high).

I would buy a '00 if I could get it for 35K but not sure if that's even possible. I would probably wait til Sept. as you suggest but I'm ready to buy in the next 2 weeks.

The engine blowing out is one of my main concerns.

Do you know anything about the aftermarket warranties like WarrantybyNet.com; they were quoting $2,100 for a 6yr/100k warranty (which was supposed to be serviceable at any certified dealer). I called Allstate (my insurer) and they quoted $4,100 (my agent said he did not recommend the policy). I went to the Porsche dealer asking about aftermarket that they sell and they quoted (policy was called The Plan)$4,000 @48mo/+48K miles.

Would these aftermarket warranties be reliable? and do the Porsche dealers accept them readily?

Also, what should I have the porsche dealer do for a used-car inspection when I have a prospective car to purchase? 2 Porsche dealers said they only do a visual and test drive. They said they don't really do diagnostics tests b/c the computers in the car would light up and tell of any other problems (I don't know if that's a reasonable answer).

I appreciate everyone help
Old 06-16-2002, 12:27 AM
cmoss

A warranty would make the most sense--if possible to purchase. I purchased a '96 993 (60K miles) in February form a Porsche/Acura Dealer. I spent ~$4100 on a 2 yr/24K/BtoB warranty. It is actually an Acura backed warranty. On Monday the car goes in for a rear engine seal, and valves...

A good rule of thumb I've heard is--"Be prepared to spend another 10% getting a used car up to snuff."

For me, it made sense to pay that up front. I just sleep a little better. BTW I would have felt totally screwed if I had to pay for these reapairs out of pocket.
Cheers,
Chris
Old 06-16-2002, 01:08 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

I would run a Carfax report, plus ask the dealer to run a maintenance history report. Clutches, brake pads, and tires have a history of wearing out fast if the previous owner(s) raced the car.

I agree with a previous post that prices should drop this fall, but this is the time of the year that Boxsters are the most fun here in the Midwest...

Quick Reply: Any tips on buying used Boxster's