996 vs boxster-s for first purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
I'll go even slower for you.

A i r - c o o l e d 9 1 1's h a v e N O T s t o p p e d d e p r e c i a t i n g (excepting those of limited production and unique value).

Your 993 may not be depreciating at the same rate as the water cooled cars, but it sure isn't holding it's value or appreciating.
You've got Bruce Anderson on your side... but I've been watching these cars for four years, and I will respectfully disagree. Early cars bottomed out at thirty grand three years ago. Any sub-$30,000 993 I see either has a story attached to it or it has 125,000 miles. I've been offered more for my 993 as a trade-in for a well-below-sticker Cayman S than I paid for it in 2004.

Now with regards to the pre-964 cars, I will disrespectfully disagree with you If anything, the prices of 3.2 and 3.0 cars are climbing, with the Turbo-Look cars leading the pack.

Still, I'll root for you on this. I could use a couple of extra 993s. If/when they depreciate to twenty grand PCA will have to do a "Spec 993" class because you'll hear a giant sucking sound of twenty-grand 993s being stripped and caged.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:21 AM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went out to drive a Z4 and a 2003 Boxster S one after another today. I wanted to see how a Z4 handled/drove since they are SO cheap now.

While I had the Z4 out, the 986S I was there to drive was sold (guy phoned in and confirmed his purchase)! So needless to say I could not drive it My whole reason for going out there (about an hr drive from me) was to test the two of them back to back.

That being said the Z4 3.0 was a decent car. The SO liked it. Sounded nice, accelerated well...didn't get to take it into any twisties or really push it for two reasons.

1) no twisties around there, out in farmland
2) Hot rod roadshow was on 5 miles down the road. Every cop from within 20 miles was out with radar in the entire area.

I suspect from my Boxster (base) test driving back in the day the S will be much nicer than the Z4. The Z4 is definitely an upgrade from my G35.

Last edited by BrockPorsche; 04-29-2007 at 03:43 AM.

Quick Reply: 996 vs boxster-s for first purchase?