Sponsored by:

Quaife ATB diff. for Boxster S: group purchase only

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 08:37 PM
Marco Polo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Quaife ATB diff. for Boxster S: group purchase only

10/25/01: Quaife has said that they will develop an ATB for the Boxster S if and only if they get 25 prepaid orders.

Judging from their other applications, I'm supposing the prepayment would be something like $2,000.

I am definitely IN (310hp and no TC). If I get enough interested parties, I will pursue arrangements including, of course, establishing prepayment amount.

I will act as a clearinghouse for this group unless or until some aftermarket business will take it on.

Quaife America (ATB description)
Old 10-30-2001, 03:32 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Is there a factory alternative?
Old 10-30-2001, 09:44 AM
Marco Polo
Instructor

Yes and no, but really no. All 986s have open differentials. Automatic Torque Biasing diffs. are sort of like limited slip (but they use gearing instead of slipping clutch plates). Open differentials send all torque to a slipping drive wheel; if you are in sand or ice on one side, that side will spin under throttle while the other wheel sits idle. The "yes" part is that Traction Control or PSM offer a comparable function in using braking or throttle reduction to respond to a slipping wheel. This Quaife differential would be desireable on a car without TC or PSM, a car used in competiton environments (DE, autocross, time trials, road race), or a car owned by someone who prefers the mechanical to the electronic.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:01 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I didn't realize that it just wasn't an option. That is sad.

Quick Reply: Quaife ATB diff. for Boxster S: group purchase only