Sport Chassis on a 2.7? Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 01:22 PM
MogulBoy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sport Chassis on a 2.7? Yes or no?

My first post on here!

I've had my eye on a Boxster for a long time and now that the Impreza has gone, now may be the time.

Test drove a 2.7 and an S at the weekend and they were both sweet.

To be honest, I didn't have the opportunity to exploit the performance advantage that the S undoubtably has. The one I drove was running 18" wheels (265 Bridgestone S-02's at the rear) and the sport chassis.

I felt that it was almost 'too well planted' and not as much fun as the 2.7 on 17" P-zeros I tried.

I believe that the 2.7 had the sports chassis too.

Evo Magazine state that the standard car is sweet enough and doesnt need the sport chassis.

However, as it is a relatively cheap option, I guess a lot of people go for it. They want to think that they are buying 'a sports car' after all! Lowering the car by 10mm may help the looks and ultimately on the track but I don't believe that the standard set-up turns the car into a barge.

Anyone out there got any experience of the two set-ups?

I would choose a mint 2001 model year car if I could find one with a nice spec. but the ones I have seen so far have had the sport chassis. I may do a few track outings in it but nothing too serious.

Therefore, I am tempted to configure a new 2.7 (standard chassis, 17's and a high interior spec.) They have already offered me 8.5% off list and delivery in three months! PS. I am in Switzerland and prices are already 10% below UK list primarily due to the lower VAT rate out here.

What is the market like in the UK right now? (discounts/delivery times etc).

The used prices on the Porsche Cars Great Britain website are scarily high by comparison.

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:20 PM
greg1234
Racer

I don't know about the 2.7s, but as far as new Boxster S cars go -

I have been told "no discounts" from official Porsche dealers, and was quoted 4 months for delivery..
Old 03-29-2002, 03:21 PM
greg1234
Racer

I wonder if you can get me a new one cheaper and quicker... or if Porsche will deliberately add some sort of financial penalty or delay for RHD car orders...?
Old 04-01-2002, 04:27 AM
MogulBoy
4th Gear

I went ahead and ordered my 2.7 on Thursday!

With a bit of luck, I will take delivery at the end of May! Early june would be a safer bet.

I was amazed that discounts were available but the sales guy told me that there were quite a lot of cars in the market but that does not explain how I can get a build date which is only 6 weeks after my order at this time of year!

I have no idea if you would be offered similar terms if you wanted an RHD export sale but I guess you could try a few dealers and find out.

PS. You should find some English sepaking dealers in the Zurich area but I went local and bought from a French/German speaking one.

Now I just need to register for the dirving days at Imola and Monza that the Swiss dealers are organising!

Cheers,

PS. This board is excellent , if a little quiet with respect to Boxsters. Are there any others that are worth a look?
Old 04-04-2002, 12:37 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I've got a 2000 2.7 w/the Sport Chassis (030). I absolutely love it! It can be a touch harsh on rough pavement but 95% of the time it feels perfect. Furthermore, on the track it feels incredible.

BTW, if you are interested in another great Boxster source, try <a href="http://www.986board.com" target="_blank">www.986board.com</a>

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2002, 02:03 PM
MogulBoy
4th Gear

Thanks Ray,

I think I'll stick with the regular set up on my (May build) but I hope it's not too soft on the track. The Swiss importer is running some driving days in Italy at Imola and Monza this summer so if I get a place on these I will get to check it out!

PS. Thanks for the link to the PPBB. I have have a nose around that one already and I gather it's the best established but it aint that easy to navigate (I like this one better!)

PPS. I found another new (this year) Boxster forum that is UK based but still pretty quiet....

<a href="http://www.porschetalk.co.uk" target="_blank">www.porschetalk.co.uk</a>
Old 04-06-2002, 12:46 PM
Jim Sloves
Racer

I had an early '98 Boxster until yesterday (picked up my '02 C4S last night). I had the regular suspension which was fine for my daily commute of 50 mi/ day for 4 years. However, there was a bit of roll in corners/turns and personally think I would have preferred the sport chassis.

One of my partners has an '01 Boxster S. I drove it and the chassis is better. If the S has the sport chassis, and I think it does, it confirms what I thought above.

Too bad about the delay in your country. Champion in Pomapano Beach, FL has tons of Boxsters. Mostly regular but some S too. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Sport Chassis on a 2.7? Yes or no?