Boxster Reliability and Maintenance Costs

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 04:39 PM
nadster14
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boxster Reliability and Maintenance Costs

I am considering a Boxster purchase.

1. How reliable is the Boxster 2.7 engine? How many miles would this engine run before needing to be rebuilt?

2. Does anyone know the typical maintenance costs with owning a Boxster? I have heard that servicing is costly due to having to drop the engine on all repairs and maintenance.
Old 10-28-2001, 11:57 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
nadster,

The jury is still out on the 2.7 engine. Since it was introduced in MY 00 it is difficult to determine rebuild time frames because there are not enough miles on enough cars to really analyze the data. The 2.7 has been much more reliable than the original 2.5, with much less engine failures. Check out www.986board.com for a lot more information. There are many Boxster fanatics there and they have experienced just about all the problems. It seems that there have been a couple of lemons in the Boxster family (of course what car doesn't have them) but there overall most Boxsters built from MY 00 very reliable cars.

Maintenance cost are also going to be difficult to determine because the majority of the 2.7 Boxsters are still covered under warranty. Not all work requires the engine to be dropped. Much of the maintenance can be preformed by removing the engine cover and jacking up the car.

Personally I have had very little problems with my Boxster. I had the top warning light flash which was a faulty sensor that was repaired under warranty and I had the MAF sensor replaced which corrected a rough idle on a "cold" start up. Other than oil every 5k (I am sort of fanatical about that) and a new set of tires (got a screw in the side wall of one and saw it as an excuse to get S0-2's) no problems here.
Old 10-30-2001, 01:18 AM
nadster14
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Brian,
Thanks for the insight. It's a little scary putting out the $ for an unknown that does not have the a proven reliabilty/longevity record. But it sounds as though you have been happy with your Boxster.

Thanks for your help!
Barry

Quick Reply: Boxster Reliability and Maintenance Costs