Sponsored by:

98 Boxster Convertible Top PRoblems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 09:43 AM
J.L. Champion
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 Boxster Convertible Top PRoblems

Looking for any info on the 98 Boxster or anyone having problems with the convertible top transmission. My transmission just went out and of course the car is out of warranty. From what I have heard this is a possible problem on all 98's, especially since Porsche has a upgrade trans for the origional one. Any information would be appreciated. jchampi@attglobal.net
Old 09-04-2001, 01:10 AM
Cali_Jeff
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had problems with the top on my 99 Boxster but it appeared to be a dirty contact switch. When you pull the emergency brake lever, do you see the brake light on the dash? If not, it could be the contact switch in the lever. Otherwise there have been reports of failed relays. Have you investigated both of those possible causes?

Regards,
jeff
Old 09-09-2001, 03:16 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are known problems on '97-'99, and then the design was changed in '00. I have a '97 and I am just waiting, but my top is always down b/c I have the humps so my top is seldom operated.

Some people have reported that it was fixed at no charge, since it is a know problem, even though it was out of warranty. Others have reported that they paid for labor, and Porsche picked up the parts (which are not cheap).

Quick Reply: 98 Boxster Convertible Top PRoblems