Sponsored by:

coolant brand

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 11:11 PM
Arthur
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post coolant brand

What brand of coolant is acceptable in the Boxster? Is Prestone just as good as the $45 fluid that the dealer charges to put in?
Old 01-06-2002, 02:37 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The coolant sold by Porsche is made by Elf. ChevronTexaco and Elf have formed a JV named Arteco. On their site Havoline AFC is listed as approved by Porsche (as it Elf), but I do not know if that product is available in the US. Here is the site, select Porsche. web page
Elf makes an environmental friendly coolant and I would not be suprised if there is a US equal. Check the specs of the Elf coolant and see if you can match it. Jeff Lopez
Old 01-06-2002, 01:13 PM
Steve Cattaneo
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steve cattaneo
User
User # 478
User Rated:

posted 12-12-2001 20:25
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information for those who may not know your 928 aluminum engine requires special love and affection.
Another potential problem with aluminum engines and/or radiators is electrolysis (the decomposing of a chemical compound by passing a electric current through it). Aluminum is especially vulnerable to electrolytic corrosion. The coolant is part of the engine, so some current flow through it is almost inevitable. Because of the grounding system, the 928’s are more prone to electrolysis. Probe the coolant; if you get a reading of .1 volts or higher the radiator and engine is a prime candidate for over heating (sounds familiar) from corrosion build up. You will always have voltage in a coolant, .5 volts or lower is tolerable, anything higher and electrolysis will eat away at the aluminum. Any boater knows about aluminum corrosion that’s why boats have anodes to draw current away form the aluminum out drives. The common cause of electrolysis is poor grounds. Electricity will always take the path of least resistance. If you add horns or lights to your 928 or to any car for the matter never ground them to the radiator mounting brackets. To minimize the potential danger or electrolysis run extra ground cables from the negative post of the battery to the engine, run an extra ground cable from the engine to the frame on the driver’s side. I took a small anode, tied fishing line to one end and a cork to the other end, dropped it in my expansion tank and I change it once a year.

Antifreeze formulated for North America vehicles are generally different from that used by the European and Asian vehicle manufactures. European vehicle manufactures typically specify an additive package that contains borates and low silicates, but uses no phosphates, because hard water can react with phosphates to form calcium and magnesium deposits. The Asian carmakers, on the other hand, generally specify an additive package that uses phosphates, but no borates and low or no silicates. They don’t want borates in the system, because they believe borates can corrode aluminum if the coolant is neglected for too long. Most antifreezes’ (with the exception of the extended life OAT products) for North America applications include silicates to protect aluminum, plus phosphates and borates to protect cast iron.

Porsche recommends that only approved phosphate and propylene glycol free antifreeze, such as Autobahn and Mercedes Benz, or Zerex Extreme 450 be used in their aluminum engines. The models affected are 924’s, 944’s, 968’s and 928’s. If you don’t know for sure what’s in your cooling system have it flushed and refilled with a 50/50 mixture of approved antifreeze with distilled water only. A higher then 55% volume of antifreeze concentration sound be avoided. I change my antifreeze every 30,000 miles or 2 years, which ever comes first. It’s cheaper then replacing the radiator or a leaky head gasket due to corrosion.

Good Luck
Steve C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Reply: coolant brand