Lux Pack / Sport Pak

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 02:48 PM
speedy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lux Pack / Sport Pak

Hi there,

New to the forum and currently looking for a Boxster. I've got a few questions that I'm hoping you could help me with in buying one.
Can anyone tell me the differences a lux pack or a sport pack make to the boxster.
Also which year did the standard engine size go up to 2.7 litre.
Finally just any helpful suggestions on what to look for on the ealier Boxtsers and any known problems.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-02-2002, 05:16 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The 2.7 first appeared in the MY 2000. I am don’t know what is included in the luxury package. The sports package usually includes the wind stop, cruise control, Hi/Fi option for the stereo and alarm (I think that is it).

As for what to look for: The owner should have the records for all service and maintenance and like any Porsche get a thorough PPI done by a qualified mechanic that has worked on the Boxster. Something to consider is the warranty issue. A 2000 or newer Boxster is still going to have a factory warranty covering the vehicle. Also, the earlier cars had some engine reliability problems. You can afford to be very particular right now. The Boxster market has been hit hard by the slowing economy and the prices have dropped dramatically not to mention convertibles are not hot items in the middle of January (especially in the North and Midwest). However, Florida and California have the highest numbers of Boxster which also drives the price down. You should be able to get a lower mileage nicely equipped 2000 Boxster in the higher 30's. HTH.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:18 PM
bet
Drifting

I just saw London in your location. UK? If so the information I provided you may be useless.
Old 01-06-2002, 04:44 PM
speedy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, it is still relevant and very useful for the UK.

Can you go into any more detail on the ealier engine problems.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:25 AM
bet
Drifting

The earlier cars had some engine failures that Porsche replaced under warranty. Rumor has it that the 2.7 came along because of the continuing problems with the 2.5. I am by no means an expert on this topic. I would suggest that you check out Porsche Pete's Boxster Board. The board has a lot more traffic than this board and has very knowledgable Boxster owners. There are many on the board that have owned a 2.5 and some that have been through the engine failure that can give you all the details.

I wish I could offer more knowledge to you but my Boxster experience was with a MY2000. I loved the Boxster but my dream had always been a 911 and I found my mind kept saying "911" over and over, so I broke down and followed my dream. I do miss the Boxster though. HTH.

Quick Reply: Lux Pack / Sport Pak