Sponsored by:

'99 vs. '00 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 02:35 PM
EricT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '99 vs. '00 Boxster

Hello, everyone. I've been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks now, trying to learn as much as I can about the Boxster. I am considering buying one at the end of the year when the lease on my A4 expires. I've found a lot of really informative posts so far.

I've been tracking sales prices on eBay and have concluded that a '99 or '00 Boxster would be in my price range, although I would have to stretch a bit to get the '00. My questions for those of you with real experience in these cars are:

1. Do you think the extra 0.2L in the '00 model is worth the price difference over a '99? Seems like the extra 15hp or so would be noticable, especially if one starts to compound it with a chip, intake, etc.. I'm not aware of any other significant changes between the two models, unless I have missed something...

2. Any chance of a price drop in the '00 Boxster S once the 2004s come out this year? (please, please, please)
Old 07-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. I've driven both 2.5 and 2.7 liter Boxsters, and I didn't really feel any difference. There's probably a little difference in acceleration, but not much. The 2000 Boxster does have a few other updates - I believe the top mechanism is revised, and there are a few little odds and ends that were updated.

2. Boxster S prices are already pretty low. You can pick up a nice S in the low $30Ks. I don't think the introduction of the 2004s is going to change that much.

If you could afford it, I suggest buying a 2000, if for no other reason than to have the warranty for another year.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:48 PM
TT X50
Advanced

EricT,
Of your two choices, I'd opt for the 2000 Boxster.
The 97-99 Boxster is a fantastic handling chassis.
IMHO the small addition in HP, and more importantly, the torque is noticeable.
If your clutch was out of adjustment, even experienced sportscar drivers might stall from a stop.
We owned a 1997, 2000 tip, and 2003 manual Boxster. Did about 3 or so D.E./track days with each the '97 and the 2000Tip.
The extra torque on the 2000 seemed to make up any losses bc of for Tiptronic.

The Boxster chassis just responds to any extra power it can get.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:01 PM
EricT
Intermediate

Thanks, I think I will go for the 2000. I may even wait a while to save some more $$$ to get an S.

Another question: what about the "sport package"? Is it a must-have?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:24 AM
brickerson
Advanced

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by EricT:
<strong>Thanks, I think I will go for the 2000. I may even wait a while to save some more $$$ to get an S.

Another question: what about the "sport package"? Is it a must-have?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Nah. It's really more of what the American manufacturers would call a "convenience" package.

Quick Reply: '99 vs. '00 Boxster