Please say it isn't so...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 03:12 AM
Victor
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please say it isn't so...

Hi,

Please do not shoot me down in flames, but I have heard (somewhere on another board on Rennlist) that Boxters are made in the same plant as SAAB cabriolet's and not in Stuttgart.

Can anyone shed some truth here?

Cheers, Victor '89 3.2 Carrera
Old 06-28-2001, 09:41 AM
Chad in NH
Intermediate

Victor,

Yes, the bulk of Boxster production is farmed out to a company named Valmet Automotive in Finland. They do also make Saab 9-3 convertibles.

They duplicated the Zuffenhausen production facilities so that the manufacturing process would be identical.

{Added later}
Meant to ask, why is this a problem? They're not the first Porsches to be assembled outside the factory, and certainly won't be the last. If this is the kind of thing that's important to you I guess I should point out that the engines are all assembled in Zuffenhausen.

FWIW, the BMW Z3 is made in the US, as are a number of Mercedes Benzes. Even Ferrari has farmed out production of it's cars in the past. Personally, I don't care if it's made in Stuttgart or Finland.

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Chad in NH ]
Old 08-05-2001, 09:03 PM
Brian 986S
3rd Gear

Thumbs up

No worries - the finland built Boxsters have been consistantly shown to match the quality of the Stuttgart builds if not exceede it slightly (I have a Stuttgart build however). To say they're built along side saabs may sound bad but it's not as if they are built in one of saabs factories - the company that builds them is simply a manufacturing firm and they have both Porsche and Saab as customers. Saabs aren't that horrible of a car anyway, better than a Chevy or Ford!

Quick Reply: Please say it isn't so...