Sponsored by:

Check engine light!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 12:39 PM
magistro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Check engine light!

Just purchased 97 986. Got home & check engine light came on. Car running fine, any ideas. How to reset? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:19 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes. But if the fault is detected again the light will be on again. Jeff
Old 06-19-2003, 07:49 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Call a dealer and have them run a diagnostic. I hate to say it, but the newer Porsches are not as wrench friendly. And it's not necessarily a light that goes on just to get you into service.

I just bought a '99 and after about a month the airbag light went on. I deduced that since it needs to be checked every four years, the car was timed to turn it on so I'd go in to have it checked. So I kinda blew it off and took my time getting to the dealership. Turns out there was a faulty connection in my seatbelt buckle and there truly was a flaw. Had I needed the airbag, it may not have worked for me!

So I'll never take anything for granted. Just makes sense.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:43 PM
01_aero_s
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magistro,

Another thing to check would be to see if your gas cap is on tight. HAd the light come on myself, and apparently, if you don't turn the cap til you hear the clicks, the sensors can trip the light as well.

Quick Reply: Check engine light!