Sponsored by:

Header Installation Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 09:14 AM
roygts
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Header Installation Procedure

Does anyone have a complete description of the procedure for installation of aftermarket headers? I am told that it is a simple bolt off- bolt on deal. And I have also heard that the engine needs to be lowered to accomplish this.
Has anyone done this personally who can describe this thang? Thanks
Roy
'01 'S'
Old 06-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Engine doesn't need to be lowered, just put the car on a lift, unbolt the stock exhaust manifolds, bolt on the headers. They first set of O2 sensors will go into the headers, the second set will need to be tapped in behind the CATS or you'll trip your engine light all the time. A good shop should be able to spot weld the bungs for the sensors on the pipes behind the CATS and tap in there. They will also need to extend the wires (make sure they shrink wrap it with that heat wrap) to allow the sensors to be moved back that far.

I have a shop in KC I can recommend for this, they did the best job I've seen of installing headers and moving the sensors.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:00 PM
bxtrgt
Instructor

I can recommend replacing the orig 8mm bolts (which snap off sometimes) with Stainless Steel studs & 8mm nuts. The old 911s have studs, and its much easier to remove the nuts when rusted than the bolts that the Boxster uses. Getting a broken bolt out is NOT fun. Removing a frozen nut can be done with a heat wrench.
---------------------------
Len Cummings
BoxsterGT
Lifetime Rennlister
Old 06-04-2003, 04:19 PM
roygts
Advanced

Len , Thanks. It's these little bits of wisdom that can make a big difference down the road. Great stuff.
Roy
Old 06-04-2003, 07:35 PM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<a href="http://www.qplanet.org/q/post/undercar_01L.JPG" target="_blank">UNDER CAR PHOTO</a>
<a href="http://www.qplanet.org/q/post/undercar_02L.JPG" target="_blank">UNDER CAR PHOTO #2</a>

Quick Reply: Header Installation Procedure