Sponsored by:

Z4 drive thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 02:33 AM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Post Z4 drive thoughts

Been looking at used Boxsters lately and will probably be picking one up soon...My business partner just got a new Z4, took it out for a spin tonight. The car was quite fun to drive, lots of low end torque, very comfortable, GREAT exhaust/engine sounds. Makes a nice burble on off-throttle, shifting, etc. Can't comment on 10/10ths behavior from the modest drive but handling seemed extremely competent, certainly impressive for the average joe's daily use. The speedo was a bit tough to read. The bulbous front end is not to my taste but the rear corner view is much more attractive. Lots of wind buffeting at the top of my head, and I'm not a tall guy.

Regardless of the styling issues, it has something the Boxster probably lacks from the general lay public's view: newness and uniqueness versus the prior edition, something the Boxster's re-do lacked in great measure. Lots of thoughts after comparing it with the Boxsters I've driven lately - I must say think the Boxster on dealer lots is in trouble here...perhaps not necessarily from the hardcore enthusiast/racer segment (and certainly not from Porsche loyalists like me), but certainly from the general sports car buying public.

This car drew stares every where it went and would more than satisfy the needs of 99% of the new sports car buyers out there...I hope Porsche's SUV project does what it is intended to for the company's bottom line, which I fear for, having driven BMW's offering...not being in the new sports car market I can only speculate. YMMV and flame on! Al
Old 07-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Frost451
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You make some good points, however I think you are forgetting that the Boxster is the cheapest Porsche made. BMW, Honda, ect are not really even in the same class. Most children don’t hang pictures of Hondas or BMWs on their walls. Porsche belongs to a group of cars like Ferrari, and Lamborghini. I certainly could have bought a BMW, but you can bet your *** that my boss wouldn't have said "holy ****" when she saw my car for the first time if I had. My reply was, "its not a GT2". In addition, Porsche is owned by the VW auto group, probably one of the largest manufacturers of cars in the world. Therefore, I wouldn’t worry about them going out of business anytime soon. Finally, the SUV thing Porsche did. I think they did it just to show the world that they could. Lexus has been running some TV ads showing Italian and German car designers being frustrated by their new SUV. WHATEVER LMAO. I’d like to see a Porsche commercial where the Cayenne Turbo goes flying past a Lexus SUV. But I know that Porsche doesn’t need to prove anything. 165MPH and a zero to 62 of 5.6 seconds in a SUV. Apples to oranges.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:37 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Originally posted by Frost451
In addition, Porsche is owned by the VW auto group, probably one of the largest manufacturers of cars in the world. Therefore, I wouldn’t worry about them going out of business anytime soon.
Actually it's not, they are an independant company. I'm not sure if the Porsche family still hold the majority of shares or not, but in any case Porsche AG is not owned by VW or another car manufacturer

I wouldn't place Porsche among Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. either, but it definately is in a different group than VW, Audi, BMW etc. For sure some models of Porsche are direct competitors to some models of Ferrari, but a Boxster for example isn't one of them. This is of course rather subjective and I'm sure everybody has different opinions
Old 07-04-2003, 09:32 AM
craigg
Instructor

This is correct.

Porsche is still held as a special "trust" company specifically designed to avoid excessive dominance by family members (which can almost ruin a company when the subsequent generations come along - a la Ford). It is an independent organization - although it has had many strong alliances over the years, one of the strongest being with VW/Audi (remember the 914 and the first 924?).

You are right! I wouldn't put Lamborghini and Porsche in the same league - Lambos don't have a racing heritage, never have. They are also constantly being bought by large companies for fun. Some serious long term stability issues here.

Since Ferrari was bought by its archrival FIAT several decades ago, and is now a subsidiary of a (struggling) multinational car company, ya really gotta wonder who is in whose league? Don't get me wrong. Ferraris are truly outstanding but I think Porsche's racing heritage is equally impressive. They tend to compete in different streams (Ferrari in F1 obviously and Porsche, until recently, in GT and LeMans) but Porsche has an undoubted pedigree.

No doubt the BMW Z4 has a ...unique? look, and will draw a lot of lookers, and if that is important, so be it. But, I know that a 20+ year old 911 is timeless and still gets the respect and admiration of everyone. The Boxster is not "dated", in my view, but timeless. So, too, is the look of the 944, 968, and 928. They are all gorgeous, Porsches and desirable, regardless of age. The only timeless BMWs seems to be the 2002tii and the CSI series (630), and these are pale in comparison to almost any similar vintage Porsche, IMO.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:34 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I've always considered Porsches in a class of their own, somewhere "between" the true exotics like Ferrari/Lambo etc., and high-end cars with traditional depreciation curves like BMW and Mercedes. Unfortunately, judging from the prices I'm seeing on the market and items like B. Anderson's most recent sales report in Excellence, Boxsters and to a lesser degree 996s seem to be suffering from the same steep depreciation curve the rest of the market is these days. Porsche sure sold a lot of these things...will be interesting to see how things shake out in 5 years or so.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:08 PM
roygts
Advanced

In Re: depreciation.
I saw a 2001 Boxter 'S' 19000 miles - full leather , cd. etc. go for $35,600 on ebay yesterday!
The smart play has to be a low mileage used fully warranted Boxster these days. Why pay $55+ only to see it drop $20k in a year or two. I don't understand it, but was happy to buy my 2001 'S' used in the mid $30's a few weeks ago.
It is still certainly unusual to see this sever depreciation on a marque which has traditionally given it's new ( and even more so it's used) buyers a large degree of insulation from heavy depreciation. Go figure.
Roy
Old 07-04-2003, 01:22 PM
PaulK
Instructor

I just bought a new 03 myself. Actually I looked at used S's and '99 996's and what a deal they are now, but my conclusion was that the way the cars are now being discounted off the lot (I paid 45K for a 52K car)the lower rate you get on financing, the warranty, and the improvements, I am OK with depreciation. I was "spotted" driving to work, and the Boxster still drove them wild, with questions, gee how much are we paying you, a new PORSCHE, etc. Sorry but I don't think the Z4 would do that. I had 3 kids stop in their tracks on my street when the car was parked in my driveway..these guys were on motorized scooters. They drooled, then left looking behind them at the car. Sorry but for me a NEW Boxster at that kind of discount works. If you think depreciation is bad on the Boxster, by the way, try a Ford musTANK.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:19 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even better than the feeling of everybody else oogling your car...is getting a turn just right at the track.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:05 PM
PaulK
Instructor

Sounds like a rush!
Old 07-12-2003, 12:48 AM
pasauf
5th Gear

I just bought a new Boxster S after looking at both the Boxster and the Z4. I bought the Boxster for several reasons. 1) The Z4 appears too big from the outside (long hood) and inside when driving it. Kind of like the Corvette. 2) The Z4 styling is not classic enough for an old time sports car buff like me. The styling is growing on me but it never did really grab me. And I don't want a car that grows on me. Styling wise, I like the Boxster's tie in to the 550 Spyder. 3) After driving the Boxster the handling of the Z4 was not as balanced. The Z4 seemed nervous and twitchy in corners and seemed to take a while to take a set when cornering. I felt the Boxster was always right where I wanted it to be. 4) I am biased and I've always wanted to own a Porsche product. That's about it. I would encourage everyone to drive and compare. To me, the extra money for the Boxster S was worth it.

------------------------------
1970 Datsun 2000 Roadster
2000 Audi TT Quattro
2003 Audi allroad
2003 Boxster S
Old 07-16-2003, 03:35 AM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

The styling of the Z4--both inside and out--just turns me off. As several of you have said, the styling lacks the "classic" quality that ALL Porsches have.
I recently saw a used Boxster in the local BMW dealer's showroom right next to a new Z4. I couldn't help thinking that the BMW dealer was inadvertently helping sell Boxsters by doing this. Over the years I've owned about 15 Porsches--mostly 911's, but with several 914's (fours and sixes) in the mix. I've also owned 1 Ferrari and a few BMW's...most notably a 1998 M-Roadster. Since 1997, though, I'm pleased to say that I've been most happy with the 3 new Boxsters I've purchased. Right now I drive a 2002 "S" in guards red that does everything just right--in my mind--and gets "the looks" wherever I go. "Porsche, there is no substitute!"
Old 07-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Interesting thread -- I have heard good things about the Z4, and I admit to being one of the gawkers, but not for the reason that the Z4 purchaser would expect. That thing is ugly -- it may have classic styling if you liked the Daimler SP(something??). I didn't know what they were doing with the nose and sides of that car any more then I do on the Z4. I have the feeling that it is somewhat like the M Coupe, you either like it or you hate it. On the other hand, I really like the styling of the Z8, but hate the dash.

Last edited by Alan Herod; 07-16-2003 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:18 AM
who1
Advanced

Regarding looks: I drive a plain-jane 944 that's 13 years old. I STILL get looks from people driving buy, little kids saying "is that Porsch?", etc., etc... I'm sold on them. When the 944 finally gives up, I'll probably get a nice used Boxster or if I could afford it, a 996 down the road.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:31 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Arrow

The Z4 is now dubbed by the image marketing guys as the "land shark". It seems on these Z products the front keeps getting longer while the rear shortens Frankly I am not impressed with the looks. I'll choose the Boxter S without a second thought!
Old 07-17-2003, 01:56 PM
TNH 986
Intermediate

Yeah I am not a big fan of the new Z4. I know a few BMW owners and they always seem to have issues with their cars.

I myself just purchased my used 99 Boxster, a few months ago, from a Porsche dealership, and have been happy with the service of the dealership and the overall condition of the car.

I know the Boxster may not be the greatest Porsche ever made...but its a good starting point...for me at least.

Quick Reply: Z4 drive thoughts