Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster s or 993 or 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:17 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did I say I was an engine tuning expert? Did you want to tell us all about your Talon? AGAIN?

I just thought it was amusing that you would make the effort to criticize a C5's suspension when you drive two cars that have struts at each corner. Sorry if I accidentally deflated your ego.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnVitamvas
Where did I say I was an engine tuning expert? Did you want to tell us all about your Talon? AGAIN?

I just thought it was amusing that you would make the effort to criticize a C5's suspension when you drive two cars that have struts at each corner. Sorry if I accidentally deflated your ego.
Please, you don't have the knowledge or skills to deflate anything but your airbag.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:42 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

You tell yourself whatever you have to, champ.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Originally Posted by 986Jim
Please, you don't have the knowledge or skills to deflate anything but your airbag.
I can see how making this post might be excusable if his name were "John Smith", or "Joe Jones", or something like that, but two minutes with your good friend Google will show you that JohnV's a pretty fast young driver. Most people would be more than happy to have his skills.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Originally Posted by GunKata
I saw that you mentioned the Elise. If you are looking for a pure track car that has everything you need to kill apexes and supply uber accleration - it will not disappoint. I almost got one instead of the 911.
I do like the Elise/ Exige, and I would not use it as 100% track car, it would be used as a summer time daily driver along with the Vette and my other two cars.

Some light SCCA / track use .. not enough to warrent the car... but...

I am not concerned about being practical, as I have other cars to use for that.

As compared to Boxster they are very bare. But then again that isn't a concern to me.

Part of me always wanted a 911 and I know the 996 C4S would be a perfect car for me, but I still have eyes for a couple other cars out there...
Old 04-18-2007, 05:05 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

if you can deal with the elise not being practical and being pretty bare, AND can get in an out of it without killing yourself, you should get it and not look back!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Vampyre
Racer

I have read lots on the Elise/Exige and a few web searches of "Boxster vs Elise" tells alot.

More people found the Boxster S a better car. But for me, it maybe a case of the grass is greener on the other side.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Keep in mind, the English pay about two-thirds the US rate for the Elise and Exige - the Elise is priced up against the Passat 2.0 over there and the Exige would be somewhat cheaper than a Boxster 2.7 - and the Boxster still wins the comparison tests and outsells the Loti (Lotuses?)

After owning a Seven clone for two annoying years, I decided that I wanted to have a car that makes track driving an adventure - not a car that makes getting to the track an adventure
Old 04-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Originally Posted by Pzkw993
After owning a Seven clone for two annoying years, I decided that I wanted to have a car that makes track driving an adventure - not a car that makes getting to the track an adventure
hehehe, that has me laughing here, and good thing no one is around.

still laughing...

I have heard good things about the 2005 and up Elise/Exige, they use a toyota motor and reliability is no longer an issue. Not using the Rover 1.8 motor like they used too. HP is up to 190HP base, and the car is super light. I am sure you know this.

Yes they are stripped compared to the Boxster of the same cost. But they do hold a certain alure for me...

I am not planning to part with the Boxtser this year, but thinking next spring might be right. I will be going on 6 years with my Boxster, that makes her harder to part with.

I did have one problem since I bought the car, it was the oil separator, in my 2.5L it went bad, lucky it was right in front of my house, white smoke and all.

I still remember the sick feeling in my stomach, then I read a post by a rennlist user, I believe it was DOUG & JULIE, and he had info on how to fix it.

I ordered the parts and DIY, it was done in a couple hours, with basic hand tools. Saved $$$ and had fun wrenching.

Anyways... so I know my Boxster is a solid car, that makes her hard to give up, and harder when I would be jumping ship to a Lotus...(the unknown)

I have been a fan of Both the Porsche and Lotus cars since Grade school, but never seriously consider a Lotus Esprit or other Lotus as a reliable car.

A Porsche is both a DD and a track car. A Lotus is not a DD... But the Elise with it's Toyota motor has change that thinking in me... So that is why I would consider one...

Sorry to have hijacked this thread...
Old 04-18-2007, 08:52 PM
SDDave
Advanced

Originally Posted by 986Jim
Btw your C5 has leaf springs in the rear lol... Thats pre-school.
Come on, Jim. I tried to cut you some slack and defend your right to be proud of the work that you've done on YOUR car, regardless of how I feel about rice rockets. Slinging mud at other cars to make yourself feel better is another thing entirely.

A quick search on the C5 turns up this:

"...the Corvette's units differ substantially from traditional leaf springs, being made of a composite material and arranged in such a way as to act as stabilizer bars."

So while a generalized statement like "you've got leaf springs" is, by definition, technically true... it certainly shows a lack of understanding and automotive knowledge. Oh yeah- you don't help your perceived intelligence quotient by taking a cheap shot at someone as established as John V, either, FYI.

Like I said in my previous post... An Eagle Talon is an Eagle Talon, no matter what you do to it. You've done this, that, and the other to the car, and yet you couldn't sell your car for anything NEAR what someone would buy a stock Corvette, or a Porsche, or any other sportscar for.

Now come on, NO MORE of this- you guys are starting to sound like the 968 board over here!!!! I just got done telling themto grow up, and that the Boxster board was FAR more mature, and now this!

On topic- I've always said, if I didn't grow up a Porsche guy, I would have been a Lotus guy.

I got to drive the Elise at an auto-x track, and absolutely loved it. At the same event, I got to drive the new 987S. Some people I had with me all observed that I seemed to drive the Lotus harder (and I did post better times.), and I replied "That's because I felt I could".

The Elise is an absolute BLAST to drive. Reminds me of my first 914 all those years ago (with a BUNCH more power)- darts like a go-kart, handles like it's on rails, puts a perma-grin on your face with every corner. Daily driver... certainly not. My 01 986S is certainly capable in that capacity, however. With the exception of a few trips to the golf course with a friend, I've never found the Boxster lacking in available space. And if I did- so what? That's what the 968 and the Saab are for!!!

Oh, and I heard someone mention Esprit? After having raced a friend's ( 99 V8TT) a few years ago, I can say- one of the sweetest cars I've ever driven, but I'm not inclined to buy a car that needs a clutch replacement every time I go to the grocery store in it!!! An obvious exageration, but you get my point. (Though I have been tempted with the prices coming down as they have!)

Dave
San Diego
Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Vampyre
Racer

SDDave

Yeah I here that car is a blast, but it is always said.. "when on a track" I know the elise would be a fun track car, but I would use it more as a DD to work and back, track weekends and SCCA would be far and few.

I drive 12 miles to work and have a choice or roads or expressway, When I want to take a weekend with the wife, I would use the Vette, so I don't see the Lotus as being a non-practical car for me, by that sense, I have owned non-practical cars since 19 years old... and have dreamed about them since age 5.

Bottom line.. as with any car....
I really need to drive one and make my mind up that way. I also want to drive a 2004 Boxster S and also a 2001 996 C4S, hard to tell what I want if I haven't driven any of the cars listed.

After all this is a guy who also wouldn't mind a Viper GTS as a DD.. hehehe so take that for what it is worth.

And the worst part of all this, I live up north in NY, so we get about 5 good months a year, and that is just so short, most of the time my cars sit in a garage.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Vampyre -

Join EliseTalk, go to the "For Sale" section, and then read the Buyer's Guide. If you are okay with the problems detailed within, there's no reason you wouldn't enjoy an E[lx]i[sg]e, I think. Also, make sure you fit in the car with a helmet on and the top attached - not everybody does.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:09 AM
986Jim
Instructor

SDDAVE...

Ok seriously I know exactly what the back of a C5 has. It's not a lack of understanding of a C5 that led me to that comment, it's a full working knowledge after having built a full race/street car from one that led me to that knowledge.

I said it in the same way people call a Boxster a Girls car. It's not really a Girls car, there is no such thing as a Girls car. People say it to get under our skin knowing full well more men than women drive them. Much like the Miata or the whole "you bought a boxster cause you can't afford a 911" type comments are just meant to poke at us.

I'm fully aware of what the suspension system on the C5 is. I was just poking a stick a Vampyre in return for his previous comment. All of which are forgotten because we both are fine now and completely understand what the other was saying, everything is cool.

There is no need to continue to comment on this, for the love of god. We're raising the dead here, really.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Vampyre
Racer

I'll agree with Jim, no need for this...
Old 04-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Vampyre
Racer

Originally Posted by Pzkw993
Vampyre -

Join EliseTalk, go to the "For Sale" section, and then read the Buyer's Guide. If you are okay with the problems detailed within, there's no reason you wouldn't enjoy an E[lx]i[sg]e, I think. Also, make sure you fit in the car with a helmet on and the top attached - not everybody does.
Yeah I am a member there already, but thanks for the info.

I have been reading up on user problems and short comings of the car.
Still would like to drive one. the closest dealers for me are PA and Ohio.

A good couple hour drive, one way, not a bad thing, but it doesn't make it all that easy to test drive. Also service could be an issue around here.

anyways.. I'm still very open to options and have to test drve a Boxtser S and 996 C4S, both of which can be found within 100 miles of my location.

Quick Reply: Boxster s or 993 or 3.2