ATOC at IMAX

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 12:29 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ATOC at IMAX

If you are looking for a place to drive to:

Just got back from seeing Star Wars - Attack of the Clones at the local IMAX theater and about all I can say is "WOW". From the opening credits when I felt like I was hovering in space over the letters to the level of detail that I could see in the ships and the people to being somewhat queezy from the speeder chase at the beginning of the movie, it was a blast! I HIGHLY recommend seeing this while it is at your local IMAX (limited engagement), even if you've seen it several times in the theater before, prepare to be entertained.

I know some purists will scoff at the notion of cutting 12+ minutes from the film, but honestly although I could identify the scenes, I didn't really miss them. The IMAX really put you in the middle of the action and you could hear all of the dialog clearly, something I had issues with a couple of times I saw it in the theater. The 7:30pm show we attended was sold out. We arrived 40 minutes early, stood in line, just like other Star Wars films, and got pretty good seats (about 25-30 people ahead of us).

I've seen other documentaries, etc. at the IMAX before, but now I'm wondering why other films don't come to the IMAX. Maybe it was the original digital filming that allowed for the film to be blown up to the size of the IMAX, I don't know, but it is really something you shouldn't miss.

I also came away recognizing just how poor my home theater system is sound wise. I need a jigawatt of power and some more speakers, I'm missing too much. The IMAX sound system was better than any theater, including the AMC digital projection where I had seen ATOC previously.

Seriously, don't miss this! Two 12 story high thumbs up!

Oh, and you'll love the movie poster for this with Yoda....
Old 11-09-2002, 06:17 AM
NoSubstitute
Advanced

Get yourself a nice set of Boston Acoustics speakers with built in subwoofers and a Yamaha reciever with THX, DTS, and Dolby Digital 5.1 (or 6.1 or 7.1, whichever you choose)capabilities. Got that stuff at home. Orgasmic movie effects and musical sounds for those crappy, snowy New England days when driving a Porsche just ISN'T a good idea.
Although, I haven't heard much about the Cayenne in the snow.....

Porsche: there is no substitute.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:16 PM
Boxster 3.4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ken

What theatre? Where?
Old 11-11-2002, 09:27 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

I went to the "Sprint" IMAX theater in Kansas City which is located at the KC ZOO at Swope Park. There are other IMAX's around the country showing the film, I think the <a href="http://www.starwars.com" target="_blank">www.starwars.com</a> website has a list of theaters showing it.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:13 PM
Boxster 3.4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Ken.

Quick Reply: ATOC at IMAX