Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

Tips on maintaining the plastic rear window?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002 | 02:55 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Post Tips on maintaining the plastic rear window?

I know the '03's have the improvement now, but what about for those with a plastic rear window - what are the best secrets in taking care of it besides storing it in the garage with the top up? I heard it fogs up terribly, and is nearly impossible to defrost once it does get foggy...
Old 12-21-2002 | 04:25 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

I clean mine once every 2-3 months with the Porsche convertible top window cleaning paste and it works great, prevents it from fogging up and keeps it clean a long time... well maybe not as long as glass but really the soft window has never been a problem for me.
Old 12-22-2002 | 10:03 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

On my '99 996 Cab I use the Porsche Plastic Window cleaner every couple weeks. Apply it with a clean wax pad (new if possible) in side to side linear strokes. It dries very quickly, so be ready to remove it with a clean, 100% cotton cloth. Use the cloth in the same side to side motions, turning often to remove completely.

Repeat on both sides of window (inside and outside).

I then apply Plexus using the spray onto another clean 100% cotton cloth, same linear side to side motion.

I've tried other plastic products, but this combo has never failed me in four years.

I use the Plexus weekly or after each wash - nearly weekly

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-31-2002 | 11:17 AM
pure986
3rd Gear

Schvetkaaks:

I've got to concur with Ken2KS on the Porsche plastic window cleaner... I do my back window about once per month and it's still like new. This Porsche window cleaner is a cream that I take to be a very very mild abrasive that polishes out any minor scratching very effectively and it seems to almost "moisturize" the plastic at the same time. I do both sides, in and out (inside is really fun and requires body contortions that can only be done in a Boxster and nowhere else!)

I also use the same Porsche window cleaner on the plastic windows of my Jeep; it works great!!

Another important tip: don't raise or lower the top if it's too cold (I think even the manual mentions this and cites 45 degrees as the temperature below which the plastic is brittle enough to crack.

Regarding the fogging up part of things, I notice a big difference with the back window if you remove the windstop; seems to let the air circulate much better behind the seats and on the window. You'll find a big difference if you've been keeping that windstop in place with the top up.

Quick Reply: Tips on maintaining the plastic rear window?