Sponsored by:

RMS repair when out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kjtar
How much does the RMS repair (now hopefully a one-time affair) cost at a dealership or independent when the car is out of warranty?
I was told today by an independent "Porsche" mechanic that seeing that the RMS seems to be somewhat of a design flaw, that there is chance of having it replaced under "warranty" even if expired.

Separate question, those that are not recommending the RMS repair, until clutch work is needed; is that only for cars that are out of warranty?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your not going to get one done out of warrenty unless you about 1 day out of warrenty

yes, there is no reason to pay to pull the trans til your getting aclutch
Old 04-08-2007, 07:31 PM
EricP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dennis a from pa
There is a guide to insure that concentric tolerances of the case are met where the seal is. Some engines were replaced because of this non-concemtric problem which no new seal could correct.

The biggest cost is labor...trasmission must be remmoved and replaced. It could be done in two hours, but that would be humping. Around here that would be $160-$200 labor. Parts are about $100.

But again a few drops of oil would no warrant this repair until clutch needs replacing...IMO.
What do you consider a few drops of oil? i have an 01 Boxster and it's leaking oil and it sure appears to be the RMS. I get a 4 inch diameter leak under the car after it's in the parking garage all day at work, and a similar leak when parked overnight.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:32 PM
EricP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
your not going to get one done out of warrenty unless you about 1 day out of warrenty

yes, there is no reason to pay to pull the trans til your getting aclutch
What are the risks from a leaky RMS? I have an 01 Boxster leaing now, seems to be getting worse. When we look at it on a lift there oil about 3/4 of the way up the engine, looks pretty bad.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:08 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by EricP
What do you consider a few drops of oil? i have an 01 Boxster and it's leaking oil and it sure appears to be the RMS. I get a 4 inch diameter leak under the car after it's in the parking garage all day at work, and a similar leak when parked overnight.

doesnt sound like a rms
3/4 of the way up the engine?
pictures?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:02 PM
EricP
Intermediate

doesnt sound like a rms
3/4 of the way up the engine?
pictures?
I can get pics this weekend, borrowing ramps from someone this week so I can get under it. Maybe local shop will let me put it on the ramp for some pics. I had it on 2 lifts, both guys say RMS. None are dealer, just local wrenches. Consensus is flywheel is throwing the oil around?? Also the plate under the transmission gets oil in it and maybe wet roads help get the oil tossed up under? I'll get pics end of week.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:08 PM
EricP
Intermediate

I have done some reading about the RMS problem and it appears in some cases the engine should be replaced. And some of them were replaced by Porsche under their goodwill policy. My question is if I have a local non dealer shop do the work and it's determined that the engine should be replaced am I screwed in approaching Porsche to see if goodwill is an option because I didn't go to a dealer?
Old 04-14-2007, 01:03 PM
EricP
Intermediate

I got some pics, granted they aren't the best, but I only had a few minutes with the lift at the garage and did the best I could. The oil stain on the floor is what leaked in the 5 minutes I was there.

http://camelot.cc/erl/
Old 04-14-2007, 05:23 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

judging by the pictures id say the rear mian isnt your only leak
Old 04-14-2007, 09:20 PM
EricP
Intermediate

that's what concerns me, altho one tech seems to think only RMS and flywheel is throwing it around. I'm not qualified to comment otherwise
Old 04-14-2007, 09:44 PM
EricP
Intermediate

I should also note when driving during the week I will drive ~300 miles total. Monday ~120 miles, Thursday ~120 miles and 40 miles each Tuesday and Wednesday. I drove a few time this past month and roads are wet so I am throwing a lot of water up under as well. Mixing with the oil helping it spread? The plate under the transmission seems to collect oil on top of it, is this where it's going as I drive?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

From what I have been told it is a B of a job especially with the tip. I purchased the new type seal latest versions for about 22 bucks and all the other bit and pieces. I was going to do the job myself but could not get to the new house in time with the lift I was going to put in. The person I spoke with say the poor bastard that draws the short straw in the shop is hating life. I thought about doing it on jack stands. The dealer ending up meeting me half way since I was out of warrantee at 50K so I i had them do it. I have built engines and it is not rocket science but it is a pain in the butt job. You will need some expensive tool that are hard to justify for a one time repair. But time and money are relative things to different folks. If I had the lift I would have done it myself.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:08 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
From what I have been told it is a B of a job especially with the tip. I purchased the new type seal latest versions for about 22 bucks and all the other bit and pieces. I was going to do the job myself but could not get to the new house in time with the lift I was going to put in. The person I spoke with say the poor bastard that draws the short straw in the shop is hating life. I thought about doing it on jack stands. The dealer ending up meeting me half way since I was out of warrantee at 50K so I i had them do it. I have built engines and it is not rocket science but it is a pain in the butt job. You will need some expensive tool that are hard to justify for a one time repair. But time and money are relative things to different folks. If I had the lift I would have done it myself.
not to menton the chance of bending all your valves when you change the ims seal
Old 04-27-2007, 08:25 AM
EricP
Intermediate

Default Had RMS replaced

judging by the pictures id say the rear mian isnt your only leak
Good news is I had the RMS replaced and shop indicated no signs of oil leaking anywhere else. It had been leaking for a while and that's why it looked as bad as it did. Bad news is I need a clutch soon
Old 04-27-2007, 09:04 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Why did you not have them replace the clutch while they had the car apart? I assume, and may be wrong, that you motor is like my 996 and you have to remove the clutch to get to the RMS/IMS etc.. so all you had to do was fork down an extra $400-500 dollars and be done, now you have to pay labor twice. I would see if they would not do it for you again if they notified you after the work was done since they should have told you before they put the car back together. If they did well then it on you, start saving and sorry.

Quick Reply: RMS repair when out of warranty?