Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's Involved in replacing oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's Involved in replacing oil pan?

I'd like to replace my oil pan with the X51 baffled pan for track work. The local shop wants 3.6 hours to do it. Has anybody else swapped their pans? What's involved? I'm hoping it's as simple as

* Lift car
* Drain oil
* Unbolt pan
* Replace sealer
* Bolt pan

but it's probably not...
Old 03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if its the X51 replacement I've seen, but some modified oil pans need additional drilling for them to work correctly. Could be the Brey-krouse sample I am thinking of. you might want to check their website. I do recall it not being a simple plug and play type exchange...
Old 03-06-2007, 02:35 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

On the B-K website, there is a PDF explaining how to install their oil pan extension (which I question is a worthwhile modification since it doesn't lower the pickup tube/screen.). I've been trying to find out myself if this pan will fit 986 engines as well. I have not been able to find a definitive answer. You basically have the steps right. The sealer is 000.043.203.73. Here is a good thread: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=74222
The question I have is whether the seals on the baffle pan fit tightly up against the walls on the 986 crankcase. If not, it could be worse than the stock baffle. Suncoast hasn't replied if it fits or not. Not having done it myself, I think 3.6 hours is high. Maybe that includes 2 hours waiting for the oil to drip off the crankcase so you can apply the sealer?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:56 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Anyone have pics of an x51 pan next to a regular pan? Removing the pan itself is very straight forward. Drain the oil, remove the bolts and voila. I'm not sure what all is required however, to upgrade it to x51 spec. The normal pan's baffle is held on with 3 bolts, thats it. I've never seen an x51 pan however so I'm not sure about that aspect of it.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

See the link I posted above. Post #14. The X51 oil pan comes with the baffle.

If you look carefully at the pic, you can see where rubber sheeting is sandwiched between metal strips riveted to the "bulkhead" as Porsche calls it. These rubber seals need to seal up against the inside of the crankcase. Here's another try at a pic from: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=12815
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2007, 12:18 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

It looks like it uses the same three bolt holes so Im guessing is all you would need to do is order the x51 baffle and bolt it to your oil pan. Whether or not itll fit in the 986 case is another matter.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

If you look at the casting underneath the baffles, the cover looks the same, but I don't know if there is a separate part number for just the baffle. In the X51 "kit", it is the assembled cover + baffle (one assembly) that is replaced--not the plastic baffle swapped out.

Quick Reply: What's Involved in replacing oil pan?