Sponsored by:

Boxster S Quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:10 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Boxster S Quality

I test drove a new '06 Boxster S and it met or exceeded all of my expectations except in the quality department. I was especially impressed with how quiet the Boxster S compared to other roadsters I've owned. The quality issues were small and I'm certain they can be corrected quickly, but I thought that Porsche would do a check to ensure that everything is in working order before they release the car.

My question to Boxster S owners is how is your car holding up? I imagine that rattles and squeaks on roadsters will be inevitable, but how's the quality overall?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Tierce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 2000 S with almost 80000 miles, and love it. I would put the quality above any others I've seen. But I haven't owned any other roadsters, so it may not help as much. JMHO.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:38 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

I have only been in several roadsters,a Maita,Z3 and TT. The Maita has WAY too much plastic. The Z3 is decent and the TT is on par interior quality wise(no were near performance wise though).
Old 03-04-2007, 07:43 PM
black986S
Intermediate

Boxster S is a great everyday Porsche, I think the quality is fantastic, and they're easy on maintenance.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:16 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Since the Boxster has been around for many years, I thought that the quality should be high. BTW the problems that I saw on the '06 Boxster S were:
1. Passenger side window would not go all the way back up after going down when opening the door. You could make it go back up manually by pushing the window button. I noticed the problem because of all of the wind noise since the window was partially opened.
2. There was a message on the screen on the dashboard that specified that the driver's seat needed adjusting or something to that effect. I have no idea what that is all about.
3. There was a loud and persistent rattle coming from the behind the passenger seat.

Obviously nothing earth shattering here, but again I thought that all of these issues should have been identified and corrected before the car was shipped to the Dealer, since it was my understanding that Porsches are tested before shipment and none of the above problems are subtle.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Tierce
Pro

nobody can be perfect all the time. The dealer can fix those programming issues pretty quickly, and the rattle may just be something minor. I wouldn't read too much into it personally. There will always be a few glitches to work out at first, but once you get a few miles on it, everything's fine.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:04 PM
wetstuff
Pro

I don't have the reference handy but the Germans have a research bureau that tracks long term vehicle problems and both the 911 and Boxster were among the very best after 5yrs. I suspect the numbers are probably pretty small vs. lesser expensive cars so their sample may not representative of what we experience here.

Quick Reply: Boxster S Quality