Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

Purchase Advise Please: My 1st Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007 | 03:09 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by perfectlap
^what does the price have to do with 911 v. BoxsterS?

if he wants a roadster he will consider a Boxster

if he wants a sports coupe he will consider a 911

if he want a neutral mid engine sports car he will consider a Boxster or Cayman

if he wants a rear engined sports car he will consider a 911

Not everyone who drives a roadster wishes they were driving a coupe or a GT.
I had an auto loan check good for up to $100K even though I only asked for $40K.
A standard Carrera was looming about for an extra $8K. I drove every 996 except
for the GT3/GT2 but once once I drove my BoxsterS I saw no need to spend more money.
and at the autocross the next weekend after I bought the Boxster I was matching and beating guys in standard 996 Carreras.
Ditto that. When I bought my Boxster, the choice for me was between an '03 Boxster and a '99 Carrera, both with low miles. I could have bought either. I drove the Carrera first, and loved it. Then I took the Boxster for a ride. Tough choice, The Carrera was quicker, the Boxster was more agile. Bottom line for me was: a) I didn't need the almost-rear seat, b) the Boxster was more fun to drive, c) I think the Boxster looks more exotic, and d) I figured for the difference in price I could buy the Boxster, add headers;exhaust;V-Flow intake; and reprogram the ECU to get a comperable HP to Weight ratio - which I have done. I love my car.

The only thing that MIGHT ever replace my Boxster in my garage would be a Cayman S in another year or two....but even that I'm still on the fence with.

Quick Reply: Purchase Advise Please: My 1st Porsche