Old 02-28-2007, 09:43 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default HID Xenon Headlight Upgrade

We installed an HID Xenon headlight upgrade today on a 2000 Boxster S. It is a plug and play kit, which involves removing the existing low beam bulb, and replacing it with the xenon bulb and converter. Install took about an hour, and was very basic. I will try and get some night shots against the building this week (with the xenon kit, and a stock boxster headlight), but there was a heck of a rainstorm/hailstorm rolling through tonight, so I didn't get a chance.

What are the advantages of a xenon kit? How about a 50% reduction in power usage, and about a 3x increase in light output. Also, the xenon bulb does not have a filament, which means the lifespan of the bulb is much longer.

Anyway, a little preview shot.....I'll try and get some night shots up later this week when the weather clears up

Before....

After....
Old 02-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Tierce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice, how much?
Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 AM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

349.95 and we'll pick up shipping in the states.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:12 AM
greglionb
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What model years will this work for? Also will work on 996, right?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:34 PM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

all Boxsters, and yes they will work on the 996's as well!

Last edited by iJeremy; 03-02-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

So I take it that this is a bulb change and the original headlight unit, lens, reflector, housing, etc is retained? Any overheating problems with these? Is the converter a transformer? People have used higher wattage halogen bulbs which emit a brighter and whiter light only to find they overheat and distort the lens by slightly melting it. One more question, is this kit designed for the Porsche? or a universal kit that I could use in my Jeep?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The kit is specific to the 986 and 996 in the way that it mounts, however the plugs are universal and the kit could easily be modified for other applications. We have been running a set of these in a few different cars for quite some time with zero over-heat problems.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 PM
etwd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
We installed an HID Xenon headlight upgrade today on a 2000 Boxster S. It is a plug and play kit, which involves removing the existing low beam bulb, and replacing it with the xenon bulb and converter. Install took about an hour, and was very basic. I will try and get some night shots against the building this week (with the xenon kit, and a stock boxster headlight), but there was a heck of a rainstorm/hailstorm rolling through tonight, so I didn't get a chance.

What are the advantages of a xenon kit? How about a 50% reduction in power usage, and about a 3x increase in light output. Also, the xenon bulb does not have a filament, which means the lifespan of the bulb is much longer.

Anyway, a little preview shot.....I'll try and get some night shots up later this week when the weather clears up

Before....

After....

Are you still selling these? I have the 99 c2 Carrera w/ halogens. Do I have to cut into the factory socket that the entire headlight plugs into?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 01:27 PM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

etwd-
Yes, we are still using quite a few of these kits - PM me if interested and I can get one to you to update the halogens.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:57 PM
mytoy986
Advanced

I'm always a bit leary about these kits only because the lens for the non hid lights is a more diverse pattern. HID's need to be aimed more carefully to avoid blinding on comig traffic.

Quick Reply: HID Xenon Headlight Upgrade