Sponsored by:

Boxster clutch pedal feel question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:40 PM
bergfurher
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster clutch pedal feel question

I have a 98 boxster, just bought, having owned many 911's, 944's and 928's. The pedal seems a bit harder to use then my 91 944S2, but about the same as my 79 930 Turbo, is that normal for a boxster? I would have expected it to be about the same as the 944 in pedal pressing hardness, maybe its me, but after driving it, then jumping into the 944, the 944 seemed to have less pedal resistance and was a softer feel, the boxster has 70, 000 miles on it.

Also,, if the motor has been changed, how do i know for sure? Just curious.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default IIRC, if motor changed engine id number will not match VIN...

Originally Posted by bergfurher
I have a 98 boxster, just bought, having owned many 911's, 944's and 928's. The pedal seems a bit harder to use then my 91 944S2, but about the same as my 79 930 Turbo, is that normal for a boxster? I would have expected it to be about the same as the 944 in pedal pressing hardness, maybe its me, but after driving it, then jumping into the 944, the 944 seemed to have less pedal resistance and was a softer feel, the boxster has 70, 000 miles on it.

Also,, if the motor has been changed, how do i know for sure? Just curious.
working from second hand info here because I've never crawled under my Boxster to verify engine id number matches VIN.

As for the clutch feel, it can be due to age, wear, or just normal. (I've no experience with any of the cars you mentioned and cars certainly differ in their clutch feel). I will relate that when I had my '02 in for a new RMS (at around 26,000 miles) I asked that the tech lube any lube points of the clutch hardware because the clutch action felt a bit stiff. Engagement point was always high.

After I got car back, clutch feel seemed to be better. Service advisor assured me tech indeed did as I asked.

Best I can advise you is if you haven't done so recently -- within a year or so -- perform a brake system flush/bleed and finish with a clutch slave cylinder flush/bleed.

I did mine a while back and was not quite happy with the way the clutch was feeling -- seemed a bit grabby -- so redid the clutch slave cylinder bleed by having someone depress and hold down the clutch pedal while I under the car opened the slave cylinder bleed screw. Did this a couple of times -- not even enough to warrant adding more fluid to reservior -- and clutch action noticably better.

My point is that while a pressure bleeding techique is good for getting old fluid out and fresh clean fluid in with a minimum of hassle, for my money doing the clutch slave cylinder the old fashioned way is best.

If fluid flush/bleed doesn't improve clutch feel then you'll probably have to live with it until time to replace clutch, unless you want to spring for a new clutch before the old one wears out, or unless you can identify something else that could account for the way the clutch feels, something else that is more easily dealt with, or unless you can determine the car's clutch feel is within the range of acceptable/normal for the model. Trying other similar age Boxsters or having other Boxster owners try your car's clutch pedal maybe...?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:26 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My clutch was a bit hard as well, shop said the cable was "gunked-up" from the age. Should be butter-smooth.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:49 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is no cable
you have 2 things possible
first is the splines get gunked up and the clutch binds up a little on release, cleaning and apllying moly lube generaly fixes it
also as the clutch wears, the angle of the pressure plate fingers becomes more steep, think back to simle machines and lever angles vs applied power. the clutch could be at the end of its service able life. hard to tell without feeling the clutch its noticlebly diffrent if youve felt a few hundered
Old 01-11-2007, 10:50 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and best way to tell if its a reman engine, besides checking the history, is
is there cosmoline on the engine if there is its orinignal, if theres no it may have been cleaned,burned off is there floresent paint on the side of the oil pan

Quick Reply: Boxster clutch pedal feel question