Sponsored by:

Tracking a Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 04:00 PM
ndporsche
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking a Boxster

First post here, have done a club Drivers Training in my Audi, going to get a Boxster or Cayman as a track car. I can't seem to find a straight answer about Boxster's on the track.

My Dad's got a C2S with X51, so I can't be as fast as him

I'm 6'3" tall, and wonder if I will a) even qualify to run a soft top, b) be required to run without the top (looked like that on the PCA website) or c) am crazy for tracking a convertible.

If its been discussed already, please redirect me. If not, can I get some advice?

I know that when I did the DT there were a few Boxsters running with tops up, so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks-

John
Old 12-29-2006, 04:52 PM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bosxter/Cayman makes a great track car. There are many here who track them regularly and there is even a Spec Boxster series starting.

As far as Top up or down it really depends on the organization that is responsible for the event. I have been to many events that want the top up but also a few that prefer it down. Sometimes it's your choice but they will generally have a preference. I always drive with my top up.

There is some concern that if a convertible car rolls over and the latching mechanism fails that the flying top will become a weapon against the driver. I have seen organizers request Miata and S2000 drivers to put thier tops down and stow them but they have never asked me to in the Boxster.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Tierce
Pro

i'm curious myself, having just bought one a few months ago. also, does pca require the brey-krausse extension?
Old 12-29-2006, 06:51 PM
racer
Drifting

Top up or top down depend on BOTH the TRACK and Sanctioning organization. Some tracks don't care. Some clubs don't care. That said, some track require the top up UNLESS you have a full face helmet w/visor AND Arm restraints. Most folks simply run with the roof up to reduce noise and improve aerodynamics.

PCA does not require the BK bar, BUT.. some tracks do, like VIR.

Most (all?) PCA regions have language about a "broom stick test". When sitting in your boxster, with your helmet on, if your helment/head do not sit below a stick as placed from the windsheild header to the rollbar behind the seat, you can not drive on the track. The BK bar raises the rear rollbar "point" to effectively give more headroom for the "broomstick" test.

For this one, it all comes down to enforcement.

Somefolks will run with the optional hardtop as well. Not sure how much "crash" protection this provides, but it does make it harder to even have a broomstick test performed.

Its your head.. you might want to protect it
Old 12-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tierce
i'm curious myself, having just bought one a few months ago. also, does pca require the brey-krausse extension?
Depends on the region, check with your local region for more info. I have been DEing my Boxster for 6 years with no issues. They really are great cars!!

For more info go to these websites;

http://www.ppbb.com/

http://boxcar-racing.com/forum/
Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful for oil starvation with DOT tires and watch the water temp.
Get an X51 oil pan from Suncoast Porsche for $250.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

ndporsche - check with the DE event organizer. Within PCA rules vary from one region to another. Some require a broomstick test. Place a stick on top of the roll hoop and rest it on the winshield header. The driver's helmeted head has to be under the stick. Note, not all regions require this, our does not since Porsche claims the Boxster is a safe in a roll over as a coupe. The Boxster top is far from "soft".

We require top-up unless the driver has arm restraints. Besides the car is faster top-up anyway.

Best,
Old 12-30-2006, 04:27 PM
ndporsche
2nd Gear

I'm 200 miles from the nearest Boxster to check. Is the "headroom" the appropriate measurement? I am having trouble finding it anywhere.

I also notice that in the online pdf brochure that the legroom has been "improved"? Is that right? I would assume that I would be one of what Porsche calls a "taller driver" that they're trying to accomodate. Anyone have any idea how exactly these measurements have changed?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
Be careful for oil starvation with DOT tires and watch the water temp.
Get an X51 oil pan from Suncoast Porsche for $250.
Do you have some experience with this alleged problem? Have you ever witnessed this problem at the track?

I have been tracking my car for 6 years with no issues and I have never witnessed this type of problem on other Boxsters.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

i seriously doubt you get oil starvation on R coumpound (vs. slicks).
now if you are on hi bank ovals, then all best are off.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

ndporsche:
boxsters are wonderful track cars and I have been beating mine fairly hard for over 2-years with no issues except consumables. Have not had any issues with the sole exception of a power stearing pump which I suspect is due to constant pressure and high heat (FL). Enjoy the car, bone stock its wonderful tweak it a litle and its amazing. Put in a dry-sump 3.6 now your cooking....
Old 01-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Read a review of an S in a car mag and the writer reported seeing...

Originally Posted by mooty
i seriously doubt you get oil starvation on R coumpound (vs. slicks).
now if you are on hi bank ovals, then all best are off.

the oill warning light flicker in some turns. Was advised to overfill the engine oil and reported the flickering light stopped flickering.

Others have reported seeing billowing clouds of oil smoke under extreme cornering/braking on the track which probably arises from the oil scavaging system being overtaxed with oil "puddling" into those areas furtherest removed from the oil scavaging pumps. The most common scenario is hard left turn, going downhill, under braking which causes oil to pile up (as it were) under the right hand side camshaft cover.

The problem is that engines vary in their oil usage that is in the amount of oil that flows through the engine in a given amount of time.

One engine may be very frugal with oil and thus the oil pump is able to maintain high oil pressure and in sufficient though limited (relatively speaking) flow, hence the oil level in the sump stays high and the oil pressure stays steady.

Yet another engine may circulate quite a bit more oil per a given amount of time, and thus more oil is in the engine, making its way back to the sump and the pressure side.

Under the same cornering/braking g forces, this engine's oil level might get dangerously low.

IIRC, Porsche says using track tires voids the Boxster warranty and also the installation of the oiling system improvements offered as an option also void the warranty, because of the implied usage.

With a high performance engine's oil supply one wants to avoid finding out the hard way it may not be up to snuff, so precautions are a good idea.

Installing options that help ensure the engine never sees marginal oil pressure or supply during its running is probably a good idea.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:15 PM
racer
Drifting

The oil starving fear reminds me of my 914-4 days. Put on a "tuna can" sump extender and ran about 1/2 qt over in oil. Never had any problems. Then again, there was no emmissions "stuff" to get covered in the extra oil as it gets belched out. I know Porsche offered for the 996 a "motorsports oiling kit". Not sure if its compatible with the Boxster motors (but i like to think it is). Just another alternative.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:00 PM
ettenw
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Prep for DE with 987

I have recently become the owner of a 2005 Boxster (non-S) and looking for advice in any special preparations for DE events. The car has the S's 18 inch wheel/tire option.

I have done quite a few schools in other cars, so I know about changing brake fluid, bringing extra pads, etc. But are there any special things to look out for on the 987? I see some talk about potential oil starvation. Has anyone seen this? And how is it avoided?

Any other issues?

Quick Reply: Tracking a Boxster