Sponsored by:

Drove a Lotus Elise

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a Lotus Elise

I test drove a Lotus Elise yesterday. I have three cars: 1973 911T, 1963 Sunbeam Alpine (hopped up with more hp/lb than a Tiger), and a 2000 Boxster S. Recently I put the 2003 Porsche Sport Exhaust and sport cats on the Boxster. My one issue with the car has been that it is relatively quiet and smooth compared to my 911 and my Alpine. So, with the exhaust I've made it closer to the others. I've been contemplating the sport shifter too. I drove the Lotus with the idea that perhaps it was a modern car with more of the louder, mechanical feel of my older cars.

Well, the conclusion: the Boxster S with 03 PSE wins. Sure that Lotus was a lot of fun and made a lot of noise and the shifter was notchy and it handled beautifully. But, the second I got in my car and started it up with its velvety roar and smooth shifting, and felt its teutonic heritage, I knew how much more I liked it.

Now, mind you, I'm not putting the Lotus down in any way. Love to have one. But NEVER in lieu of a Boxster S with 03 PSE. (note, though, one concession, the 03 PSE made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the car. I might have a different feeling without it.)

I also have recently come to the conclusion that I'm not going to install the sport shifter. I've driven a Boxster with it too. It's just that, especially after comparing the shifter of the Lotus, it's just that it really does have a marvelous tight, yet smooth, shifting action. I think the time it takes me to move the lever from one gear to another is only a small fraction of the whole shifting effort that the difference in time moving the lever is not important, but the loss of that smooth feel is (to me).
Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Sport shifters don't allow you to shift faster anyway. The limiting factor in a synchromesh transmission will always be the synchros.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Good point. One more comment on the Lotus. The salesman insisted I take it over 6,000 rpm to feel the cam come on. Yep, it absolutely came on. But, I will say this, the rev limiter kicked in so fast, like no more than 2,000 rpm later, that it was almost silly. At least the Honda gets over 3,000 rpm before maxing out - as does my Boxster S after the 4,000 cam change.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

I test drove the Elise 3 months ago and the sales manager said the same thing - rev it past 6,000. The car was faster than I thought. I didn't like the shifter at all including the way it looks. Other than that, I wouldn't be suprised if a few years down the road I get one. I have a Boxster - I put on a B&B exhaust to make the experience better a few years ago - best money I ever spent! You can get the stage II exhaust on the Elise by the way that will really make it loud I'm told.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:39 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

I was taken for a spirited drive in a Elise not too long ago and WOW,it was such a blast. The driver really openned it up,it was a hoot just to be along in. None-the-less it's on my list to buy along with a 04.5 Boxster "S" & Mini Cooper "S".
Old 12-06-2006, 05:27 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only sat and inspected an Elise. I think the are amazing cars. Just not built for someone of my size. I need a car built for a Kraut Needless to say, my exit from the car was not so elegant.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:16 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice car - would rather have a Boxster S / Cayman S...
Old 12-07-2006, 01:08 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Jay I here the Elise has a Honda/Acura 1.X Litre engine inside?????
Noise as hell…was this the case???? (quoting Consumer Reports)

I actually like the looks of the Elise…but in the end, the 986 wins for me…
Old 12-07-2006, 02:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,829 Likes on 2,389 Posts

no, elise has 2ZZ motor from toyota celica GTS
1.8L
it is noisier and rougher or rawer than boxster or cayman.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:35 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

I have been in one in while it was being opened up and it was by the far the loudest,noisest and raw car ever. I like it!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:16 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

I have been in one in while it was being opened up and it was by the far the loudest,noisest and raw car ever. I like it!
Was the engine/exhaust modified at all? Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:24 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Originally Posted by autobahnNY
Was the engine/exhaust modified at all? Thanks.
Nope,it was brand spanking new,no mods and only had 500 on it.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:32 PM
WCS
Instructor

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Nope,it was brand spanking new,no mods and only had 500 on it.
Yeah it was my car. It wasn't broken in yet so I had to go easy on it.

Elise is more like a motorcycle in many fronts, for example, it is noisy, fuel efficient, high revving, and it leaks water. Being a 'focused car, it is vastly under-engineered for almost anything unrelated to driving. The feel of the car is excellent, although it gets a little twitchy at limit because of the short wheelbase. The weight is rear-biased because (1) it is light and (2) they ran out of money in the middle of design. Top speed is lower than most P cars.

Boxster/S on the other hand feel much heavier. It has very good feel but slightly muted compared to Elise. Porsche did a good job combining practicality and performance in this package, and it is properly engineered. The torque band is very flat and easier to drive.

They are both great cars, they're just different. I find myself thoroughly enjoying the Elise and still miss my 986S from time to time.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:38 PM
WCS
Instructor

BTW here is a link to the UK discovery channel special "Project M1-11: The Inside Story of the Lotus Elise".

They designed the car with very little resources to a point that is almost laughable (e.g. look at 31:10 where they show how they tested the chassis bonding solutions). It is just amazing that the whole car works reliably and drives so well.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=lotus+elise
Old 12-09-2006, 02:27 AM
rsfeller
Track Day

Default elise = disappointing...test drive a Noble

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_%28car%29

harder to find but way better car...

Quick Reply: Drove a Lotus Elise