Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home-made one-touch top

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:31 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clb, we are just waiting on the boards to come in. They should be here Monday and we'll get some built and tested. I think there is an excellent chance we will have a few available for Christmas. Thanks again for the interest.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:20 PM
kenkamm

I just created a video showing the OneTouchTop in operation. It's just a quick video I just went outside and filmed, which shows the basic operation of the unit.

Visit THIS LINK and you'll find the files related to the OneTouchTop. There is a picture of the unit, a basic install video, the installation manual, and the demo video I just created.

Note: The videos are zipped only to prevent streaming, reducing the load on the server.

The units are in the mail for those of you that sent paypal payments.

Thanks & Regards,
Ken
Old 12-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Kenhodge
2nd Gear

John or Ken

Very interested in buying one of these units. Can you send me details on the cost and how I can pay for it?

BTW: In your video it shows the dash coming apart easily for the installation. I found the first time you go to remove this panel it is much tighter fitting.

Ken
Old 12-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Kenhodge
2nd Gear

Sorry, Forgot my contact info
kenhodge@comcast.net
Old 12-25-2006, 06:23 PM
kenkamm

Ken,

Check your inbox. I'll send you an email in a few minutes. We are accepting all payments through paypal, to the address onetouchtop (at) hotmail (dot) com.

I made a video showing the OneTouchTop in operation. It's just a quick video I just went outside and filmed, which shows the basic operation of the unit.

Visit THIS LINK and you'll find the files related to the OneTouchTop. There is a picture of the unit, a basic install video, the comprehensive installation manual, and the demo video I just created.

Note: The videos are zipped only to prevent streaming, reducing the load on the server.

Regards,
Ken
Old 12-25-2006, 10:30 PM
gepoersch
Track Day

sorry guys but this looks kinda "unprofessional", I'm driving a 986 for a few days and there is a smarttop from wilhelmy installed, maybe you can do something like that?
Attached Images   
Old 12-25-2006, 11:11 PM
kenkamm

Indeed the Wilhelmy unit is a better looking device, but that's not what we were after. Sure, the factory relay (actually not a relay at all) could be modified or enhanced to provide this function, and that route was considered. However that OEM unit alone is about $40. To add the functional circuit to that would push the price higher than we wanted to offer our device for. In addition, that unit does not work for the 996. Our goal was to make a unit that will work for both the 986 and 996. We are hoping to add 996 functionality to future offerings. If things go well, perhaps 987 and 997 functionality as well.

Our unit is certainly "form follows function" but for a device that is install-and-forget and is hidden behind the dash, we thought the bottom line carried higher weight than packaging.

Thanks for the input!

Regards,
Ken
Old 12-26-2006, 12:51 AM
clb0099
Instructor

too be honest i don't care what it looks like as longs as it works and it's hidden in the dash... plus for 100? to do what it does is good i think .
Old 12-26-2006, 10:14 PM
gepoersch
Track Day

let me ask one (a little bit technical) question.

what will happen in the following situation:

top is open, car is not moving, handbrake is NOT activated. now you push the open button with your product installed. after 5 seconds of doing nothing, pull the handbrake.

would the top start moving and stop somewhere in the middle?

what I want to know is: are there any safety features installed which monitor whether the top has left its position or not?

or is there just running a timer for 15 seconds?

another test would be, car is not moving, handbrake is pulled, top is closed and manual latch is closed, too. now push the open button and after 5 seconds open the manual latch, will the top start moving?

thanks for your information
Old 12-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Schnell!
Track Day

I agree with others that the SmartTop is better-looking and probably easier to install, but the only advantage I see that matters (to me) is the fact it can work with the ebrake handle down. Functionally it's otehrwise the same. Is that worth the extra $200?

I'm not a big fan of raising and lowering my top while driving, either.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:09 PM
kenkamm

Originally Posted by gepoersch
top is open, car is not moving, handbrake is NOT activated. now you push the open button with your product installed. after 5 seconds of doing nothing, pull the handbrake.
Once you release the e-brake (or the roof latch) the top will begin moving. The device has no way of knowing whether the e-brake is up or down and for safety it is designed to time out after a set period of time. So yes, there is the possibility that in the scenario you describe your top could be partially up or down. However, the dashboard warning light would let you know that all is not well and you would need to press the button again.

We intentionally did not incorporate the functionality for the top to raise and lower with the e-brake off. We believe it is a good safety interlock to prevent accidental operation of the top.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:20 PM
clb0099
Instructor

I finally got around to trying to see if this one touch mod worked...The Perfect.. i have one question I have the relay which allows you to operate the top while driving but with the e- brake engaged. My question is there is a hack in which your bend back the 18th pin on the relay to i think elimnate the speed limit safety issue. http://boxsters.addr.com/hacks/volume_control.htm On this site there is mention of bending the pin back .. If you could let me know I am curious
Old 01-21-2007, 02:51 PM
kenkamm

Glad to hear you got it installed with no problems. Enjoy!

The pin 18 hack removes the speed sensing. If you do that, be careful! On your car you'll have both the ebrake and speed safety interlocks disabled.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 01-21-2007, 02:57 PM
clb0099
Instructor

sounds good to me can you answer what GAL setting is?
Old 01-21-2007, 03:09 PM
kenkamm

GAL is the speed sensing setting for the audio system. Basically the system turns up the volume to compensate for road noise. The pin 18 hack won't prevent that from working.

Cheers,
Ken

Quick Reply: Home-made one-touch top