Sponsored by:

Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:40 PM
clb0099
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Problems

The below are all the posts on tried to get some info on another forum but trying to see if other people on here could help me.

Ok... Here it goes. The window on the driver's side neither goes up/down by the switch at all. At this point it's in the up position but the lip of the top of the window does not allow it to close air tight. So this makes for a gap which air can get into. So here is my question is it the regulator ,motor, or the switch. I hear some kind of noise when I press the window switch up/down but that is it. Please someone shed a little light on this. The boxster is a 1997. I read the instructions on how to replace the regulator but how do i know what is broke on it. Please any advice would be great. A little update I tried the resetting but when I did that no noise came from the switch to the driver's side window not a sound. Now could this be the motor? The passenger side works fine don't want to jinx myself as of now it does lol.just so i explain it right the window driver's side is stuck closed. The top of the window will not tuck under the rubber gasket on the hard top. When i press the switch nothing happens and if i tried to push window down manually nothing happened. It won't move at all. My question is if i am going to change the regulator or motor how do i get the window down to access the bolts i need to get to ? I am figuring it is my regulator that is burnt out. At this point I will wait for more info. I am trying to be as clear as possible . Thank you for your help.well here is the thing there was a sound at one time but now when i hit the window switch i get no noise. I can not push the window down at all. I checked to see if it was the switch by swapping the plug for the passenger window but the window still wouldn't go down. i ordered a window regulator and motor. What are the chance that it's the motor? It's a 1997 porsche boxster with 93k.. when i called the place where i got the motor and regulator he said very rare for the motor to go out. So please any advice to the updated info would be greatly valued
I also can't mannually push down the window it seems like a rock. If it is a microswitch in the handle how could i tell if that is the problem
Old 11-22-2006, 02:05 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first try swaping the swichs side to side, if it still doesnt work, you will need to pull the door pane land the film, then remove the motor and push the switch does the motor turn? now try moving the window by hand does it move freely?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:37 PM
clb0099
Instructor

I am going to try that.. but i have one question people are talking about micro switch inside the door handle. The door handle on the outside or inside dooe handle. If the motor is dead then i am going to assume it's the motor but i was told it could be the regulator that went bad and while i was trying to use the window switch to jiggle it down i may have burnt out the motor too. Just let me know what you think of that theory
Old 11-22-2006, 02:40 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

micro switch is on the inside door handle , but it will not prevent window operation, only prevnet the window from closing the last 1/8 inch with thedoor closed
motor may be burnt out but pull it out and see if it moves if it moves it should be ok
i have seen them bad beffoe, whenbever i do a reguator i put the motor in and run the window before i install the film and the door panel just in case the motor is bad and wont move or will not learn its positions
Old 11-22-2006, 03:02 PM
clb0099
Instructor

ok
Old 11-22-2006, 03:04 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

i do but avoid giving it out beasue last time i did I couldnt get anywork done as it was a non stop barage of ims sorry
Old 11-22-2006, 03:08 PM
clb0099
Instructor

ok.. well i will try what you said.. but if the motor is fine what do you suspect it be the regulator? Cause the passenger side window works fine no problem at all. Also thank you very much for your help
Old 11-22-2006, 03:48 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

regulators are common failure items
face to face consolation is only availabe these days here at the dealer, or at the bar on the coner
Old 11-22-2006, 07:49 PM
clb0099
Instructor

are you a mechanic? So you think if it's not the motor got to be the regulator? I order both from a 2004 wrecked boxster each were 70.00 . How long would you say to remove a regulator and motor take. I have done locks in my mercedes ml320 they start to do what they call "machine lock" , when all the locks go up and down like crazy while driving. So on a scale 1-10 what kind of skills do you for DIY
Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

we charge 3 hours, first time and adjutsing the window id plan 5

pull the mirrot trim and the 2 covers on the grab handle
pull the 2 t30s in the arm rest
phillps screws behnd the handle and in the map pocket
pull the platic piece that says airbag 4mm allen behind it then pull of the the door panel
phllips screws hold the speaker box
then carefull peel off the film thats the hardest part you dont want to rip it if you do replace it or duct tape it, when it rains your car could flood if its ripped
run the window up and lock the latch pull the window tp the top
3 10mms on the motor to door then 3 13s for the motor to the regulator
2 t30 torx to release the window pane mark the window so you know where to reinstall it in refrence to the seal
remove the window
2 10mms holdingthe top ot the regulator
2 holding the bottom from the bottom mark the regiurators positon on the inside of the door befoe you unthem with a majic marker
then your out iinstall reverse \
make sure the new regulatorhas the rubber stoper on the track near the bottom, its only for boxsters but the window will rattle if its not there when the window is down
Old 11-22-2006, 11:40 PM
clb0099
Instructor

one change in that i do not have any side air bags in the vehicle . The other question is can this be done with the window jammed n the up postion since i can't get the window down at all. This the part of the directions you have i am not understanding , "run the window up and lock the latch pull the window tp the top ". Can you explain that for me please. Also when your saying this line "2 holding the bottom from the bottom mark the regiurators positon on the inside of the door befoe you unthem with a majic marker then your out iinstall reverse " . Just clear those two lines for me and i am good to go. In your experience would you lean towards it being the regulator

Last edited by clb0099; 11-23-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:35 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

you can do it with the window up, pull the motor first then you can pull the window to the top so you can mark it at the top of its travel

once you have the film off you will see where the regulaot mounts to the door in the bottom, use your marker to mark around the regulator inside the door, its sloted and adustable and maring it will save you time in readjusting
Old 11-23-2006, 01:41 AM
clb0099
Instructor

your the man thank you very much.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:48 PM
clb0099
Instructor

Default Something Else

Today, I took apart the door and exposed all the parts I need to get to. Here is my question now. I see that it is a tight space to get to the regulator . Any tips to get to it. I mean it's attached to the motor right ? The bad news is since i order my part on Monday UPS is not going to deliver my parts until Wednesday since Thursday was a holiday and Friday is not consider a work day. Ok back to what I was saying what would be the best way to approach this .Also this job seems alitte harder then I first thought.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:52 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

read the instructions
3 10mms loosent he motor from the door
3 13s to loosen the motor from the regulator
2 t30s to reomve the window
4 10mms to remove the regulaotr

Quick Reply: Window Problems