Tracking a Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:40 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tracking a Boxster

Who out there runs with PCA regions?

I know that many regions require the drivers of Boxsters to pass the "broomstick test" with helmet installed. For those who don't pass, often the addition of the Brey-Krause adaptor will be enough. Still others will need to change/modify their seats to fit lower.

A couple of questions though:

1) Why?

The simple answer is to make sure, if one were to roll the vehicle, it would be hoped that there would be no head injury/trama from hitting a surface. But how come no one checks with a coupe? no one, except club racers, check with their "installed" units. I felt very tall in my 911 and I am not sure that with my helmet on I had an inch of room between head and roof. Is it assumed that any crushing metal that would come in contact with my helmet is still safer than not having a roof above me?

2) What about instructors assigned to Boxsters?

It is often up to the discretion of the instructor, but I have never seen an instructor tested to make sure they fit. Why would they "test" the driver but not a second occupant?

3) What about hardtops? With the top installed, I have never seen anyone bother with the broomstick test. I am sure some people are too tall, but "hide" that fact by having the hardtop in place. My understaning is that the 60lb top is not a structural peice and given its aluminum construction, may not prevent much if any injury in a roll over scenario.

Any one else have some thoughts, facts, examples of enforcement/application/reason behind some of the rules being used?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree conceptually with the broomstick test, although I agree it is very odd that the instructors aren't required to pass this test in order to intruct, at least that I've heard.

I'm pretty skeptical of whether hardtops add any safety. They're often made of a flimsier material than a comparable coupe and I wonder how easily the top would pop off during a hard crash. I have a Spec Miata, and the top is bolted on with steel plates, so that I'm pretty comfortable with. I'm not so sure about a latch connection.

As far as the reasoning behind safety rules, one thing to consider is what the insurance companies require.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:57 PM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a 986 "hardtop" that had hit a tire wall at Summit Point. The top had shifted so much that the front right corner (of the top) ended up where the passenger's face/head would be. Fortunately, there was no passenger in the car at the time. Based upon what I saw, I would NEVER add a hard top to my Boxster (on the street or on the track). Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:43 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Originally Posted by schnell987
I saw a 986 "hardtop" that had hit a tire wall at Summit Point. The top had shifted so much that the front right corner (of the top) ended up where the passenger's face/head would be. Fortunately, there was no passenger in the car at the time. Based upon what I saw, I would NEVER add a hard top to my Boxster (on the street or on the track). Just my 2 cents.
how do you think the soft top and it's frame would have dealt with the crash you saw?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:03 AM
dflohr
AutoX

Virginia International Raceway requires BK extension on 986 but does not on 987.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would speculate the rule is to ensure that the helmet (and the head) are not the first thing to hit ground (i.e. first thing to face resistance) in a rollover. As "thin" as a hardtop is, it is another layer between helmet and ground (so to speak), and offers some degree of force diffusion in a rollover. I imagine the rollhoop extension is for the same reason.

I will say driving with a hardtop makes the car noticably stiffer than not, so I would also speculate that having one on would offer a reasonable degree of protection...certainly better than not having one on. If I remember correctly, one of the writers for Excellence magazine rolled his Boxster at an AutoX (yes, an AutoX...it had an unusually high speed section in this particular course) and walked away. He credited the safety of the modern Porsche and his hardtop with saving his life.

To Schnell's point...anything can happen in the world of accidents. My grandfather wouldn't wear a seatbelt because he heard of someone who drowned because he couldn't get his seatbelt off after driving into a lake. Does that make sense? Not really, but it does follow a similar logic. I've seen post accident photos of Boxsters that have gone off road and essentially folded in half after hitting a telephone pole...should I just stop driving Boxsters because of that? Only if I followed that same logic. But when you start to think of all the possibilities, I would think using that hardtop would make it safer...

Quick Reply: Tracking a Boxster