Sponsored by:

Looking at a Dealer "Buy Back" Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:18 PM
ziege
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a Dealer "Buy Back" Car

I'm looking at an 05 boxster that is at a dealer, which he describes as a "buy back" car from porsche because the previous owner had electrical problems.

The car has since been "fixed" by porsche.

The car is a 2.7 and has less than 10K.

I'm looking for feedback on this, and what it would actually take for a dealer to refund a customer's money because of maitenance issues. Lemon law?

Additionally, have you all heard of "electrical" problems with an 05.

Obviously the car would be a risky purchase, but it is well under warranty. I'm just not so sure if these kind of problems can ever really be fixed and or worth the trouble... ...even at a good price.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-16-2006, 12:27 AM
simonlynx
2nd Gear

My brother bought an Audi TT about five years ago and had all kinds of problems with it - everything from transmission to electrical - that the dealer was unable to fix, in spite of repeated attempts. Rather than have the car declared a "lemon" (this was in California and my brother had everything documented), the dealer agreed to buy it back for the original purchase price, minus a reasonable deduction for mileage. Considering the car's history, I can't imagine the next buyer having anything but the same problems.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:27 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If its fixed its fixed, and if its under warrenty then your covered.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts
Default I'd walk away ... There's lots of cars to chose from ...

Originally Posted by ziege
I'm looking at an 05 boxster that is at a dealer, which he describes as a "buy back" car from porsche because the previous owner had electrical problems.

The car has since been "fixed" by porsche.

The car is a 2.7 and has less than 10K.

I'm looking for feedback on this, and what it would actually take for a dealer to refund a customer's money because of maitenance issues. Lemon law?

Additionally, have you all heard of "electrical" problems with an 05.

Obviously the car would be a risky purchase, but it is well under warranty. I'm just not so sure if these kind of problems can ever really be fixed and or worth the trouble... ...even at a good price.

Thanks for the feedback!
I do not know all states' lemon laws but usually before the dealer/factory buy-back the car they have the right to attempt to make the car right.

Also, both the dealer and probably the factory (via phone, fax contact) have been working on the car for some time and failing to correct its problems to the satisfaction of the current owner.

Electrical problems can be very hard to sort out, because the problem can be buried inside the wiring harness and this is hard to get to, and harder to replace.

If I were you, I'd walk away. There's always another car and many that are not dealer/factory buy-backs...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:43 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try the 987 forum, they maybe more familiar with the 1st year glitches.
The audio has been a big problem for allot of people.

p.s.
there are good deals to be had on 3.2 05 S models now that the 3.4 will be
the top power package for the Boxster. I wouldn't pass it up, very simiar peformance
wilth only 15 less HP.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:10 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PM ME THE VIN
Old 11-16-2006, 07:12 PM
The B
Racer

I have experience on the other end of that situation, PCNA will do any and everything to NOT "take back" a car. If they took that car back, you do not want to buy it unless your going to do something to it to void any warranty anyway.

I would simply take that one off the short shopping list.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:21 PM
Molly
Instructor

I had BMW offer to formally buy back a car from me once. Instead, we worked something else out. If I would have sold it to them, the next owner would not have been hosed. There was just one issue that they could not fix. It met the requirements of the FL lemon law, for which I filed, but it was not really something that would keep someone from having a great car. In fact, I opted to keep the car for a few more years, and did just that. So not all buy backs are bad. There are some states which require the car be specially titled as a buy back, and some states that allow the car to have that removed from the title after a certain period of time. You'll have to gather the details on that yourself because I don't know them. And that's all I know about it.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:27 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I had a bmw go back a number of years ago. Neither the dealer nor the montvale bmw/usa engineers could fix it in a half dozen attempts. I don't know why we'd believe they would get it right on the next attempt before they resold the car. Not for this boy.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:20 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't buy somebody else's problems, your just asking for it.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:14 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of price are we talking about here? End of December is apt to bring great prices on new and used Porsches.

Quick Reply: Looking at a Dealer "Buy Back" Car