Sponsored by:

Nitrogen filled tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrogen filled tires

I have decided to do the N2 fill for many reasons. What I have not been able to find is a conversion, if one is needed, from the manufacturers recommended pressure to what it should be with N2. THe gas is more resistant to expansion and should stay close to the cold inflation pressure. The tire manufacturer allows for expansion when hot. So is the cold pressure better for performance and tire wear or is the warm pressure? In stead of filling to 32 should I start at 40. Uncharted water for me.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Guess there isn't much expertise on the subject yet. I spoke with a major manufacturer of the self generating commercial units. They said 10% over recommended pressure. Pressure should be more consistent over a given heat range and remain more constant over time. Threr are many other benefits as well. We shall see.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:18 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use nitrogen in all our race slicks and they hold the pressure really well. We just fill to our desired cold weight and run like that. Basically they stay within a few psi of the desired pressure (1-2 variance max) vs. like 8psi before)

Basically fill to what you normally do and see how the ride is. You can add more later on. We fill the tires and have them fill our air pig as well. Then you can add nitrogen from your pig vs. adding air to make up the difference.

We never really found a specific formula like 10%, it was all in how the tire behaved. I run my cars like that on the road too, I don't normally fill to the manufacturers specs, more to how I like the car to handle.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:52 PM
djomlas
Intermediate

so what would you say is the ultimate psi to regular driving on 17s?
manual says 36 back and 29 front. does that sound right? imtalking about air, not N2
Old 11-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

I would start with the recommended pressure. I had good wear with mine. Just hoping for better all around benefits. The recommended pressure in most cases has more to do with ride characteristics than wear if within the pressure range recommended on the tire. N2 gives a little more room to play with.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen filled tires