Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 04:10 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake opinions

Does something like the EVO cold air intake for the Boxster help much to give you more of an induction noise throughout the rev range? Also, has anyone "desnorkled" their OEM tube to get the same effect? I've heard that term used in the past. What is done exactly to accomplish that? Kicking the idea around to get more engine noise going on. Put on a B&B muffler 2 Springs ago and couldn't be happier. I'd love even more intake noise though.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:16 PM
unklekraker
Racer

i will watch this thread like a Hawk coz' I've been tinkering on this idea for awhile now and I want to see what would they say...mwahahahaha(evil laugh) j/k but, yeah...been wondering too myself to hear more engine rev noise beside changing the whole exhaust system
Old 11-14-2006, 04:26 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

yes it will be louder, along with blocking water and debris the stock box muffles sound, more noticable than any possible power increase will be the noise
Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I de-snorkled originally and it definately sounded better there are lots of sites that show you how. Later on I bought a Evo intake and the sound is WAY louder and better sounding by a whole lot, it simply sounds awesome now with that intake boy oh boy can you hear it roar. I did find that the car was faster and had better throttle response than it did before. I love to hang the rear end out around corners and with the new intake for whatever reason I found it easier to do it. Whatever small HP increase it gave I did find a drivability difference.

Here is my evo vid http://www.etdracing.com/jim/evobox.wmv
I did a vid of the de-snorkled intake and you couldn't even hear it in the vid over the wind noise, where that you can clearly hear, so thats how much louder it is.

I have some seriously fast cars (424whp Eagle Talon TSi that does 11.7 @ 118mph and CBR600 does 11.4 @ 126mph) so it's not like I just thought there was a difference, I know the difference between my wallet being lighter and thinking its faster vs. acctually being faster. It's not a crazy increase but I did feel it.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:04 AM
98Boxster
Instructor

Thanks for your impressions 986Jim!! Makes me want to get one ASAP! I just bought and am waiting for a Downforce AIS for my NSX to achieve roughly the same effect. How long did it take to put the EVO on, did you do it or a shop??

Anyone else have experiences with their intakes?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:23 AM
986Jim
Instructor

I did it myself. I have worked on performnace cars for a long time, so had no problems doing that myself. It took about 3 hours. Getting the stock air box out was a PITA, but after that it was cake.

that wasn't even the right video, sorry. I posted that at work. Watch this one. http://www.etdracing.com/jim/evombox.mpg

I bought mine used, it was from a Boxster S which is differnet from my car, all I needed was a slightly longer piece of silicone to make it work which it did just fine. So if you see one used for any style car, it can fit, just have to work with it and some silicone a bit because their throttle body is in a different spot slightly.

LINK FIXED, SORRY

Last edited by 986Jim; 11-17-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
98Boxster
Instructor

That link isn't working either for some reason. Where is a good/least expensive place to order the EVO cold air intake? Where can you find used ones? I looked at Ebay to no avail.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Originally Posted by 986Jim
I have some seriously fast cars (424whp Eagle Talon TSi that does 11.7 @ 118mph and CBR600 does 11.4 @ 126mph) so it's not like I just thought there was a difference, I know the difference between my wallet being lighter and thinking its faster vs. acctually being faster. It's not a crazy increase but I did feel it.
I didn't mean it that way just meant that the noise difference far outshines the performance differerence
Old 11-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Tierce
Pro

how much do those intake kits cost. I want one for my 2000 S.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:18 PM
djomlas
Intermediate

about 370 dollars, which i think is overpriced considering how much i paid for other cars' intakes with same or better results.

not saying that i dont want one tho
Old 11-15-2006, 10:33 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

I had the Evo intake on my 99 and the last 4 years on my S...I absolutely love the sound. Intoxicating and addicting are words to describe the intake noise. In the early stages of the Boxster days a few people did dynos of the intake (on the other board), getting 6hp without ECU upgrade. I think you would get a little HP increase when your hauling @SS to get the ram-air effect; sure feels like it. The downside is it sucks in the hot, humid weather.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Just a minor point of clarification. It is not a "cold" air intake. It is mostly a desnork, change of baffles and different air filter. The system is ALREADY a cold air intake system from the factory. Note that there have been complaints about fouled MAFs. This is mostly due to the need to oil the different filter. The oil gets on the MAF and sends a CEL. There have been conflicting reports on whether or not this is because it is an oiled filter or if it is from people over-oiling their filter (which is easy to do). There have also been conflicting reports on whether you can simply clean the MAF and be good as new. Some report no success, others report short term success from cleaning it themselves.

Although I changed my exhaust to the factory 2003+ PSE and sport cats on my 2000 S, I'm still under warranty and I wouldn't want to risk voiding it because of the EVO modification.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:14 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Just for your FYI, in over 6 years of use with the EVO I havent had any problems. You just have to make sure you don't over-oil the filter.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:14 AM
986Jim
Instructor

I fixed my link in post #6 for those of you who tried.

I don't think you should ever re-oil a filter no matter what anybody says. When it's dirty just throw it out and buy another. We drive Porsche's people, we can't afford a new air filter every 3-4 years and not worry about over oiling it? lol...

Another thing, even if you do clean it up, just don't bother re-oiling it afterwards. AEM makes some nice filters that don't need oiling either anymore. Oiling a filter is pretty oldschool not many companies do that anymore. S&B is another non-oiled filter with exactly the same filtering qualities.

AEM Dryflow filter:http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=93
S&B Filters, big with V8 guys: http://www.sbfilters.com/universal_filters.php

Another thing if your all paranoid about water and the filter like some people seem to be (which is ridiculous, our intakes will never pull in enough water regardless of what somebody tells you,) you can get a hydro shield for the filter. It's like a waterproof but breatheable cover for the fitler. I have driven in hurricane type winds and rain where there is so much you almost have to pull over and the rain is going sideway, and no problems with my intake at all.

Injen Hydro Shield:http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...A2582A0A0.aspx

Also here is an interesting article for people about water and intakes from about 5 years ago.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te..._bypass_valve/

Water entering the enging is no big deal, people use water injection as a method of intercooling turbocharged cars (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/sys1/sys1a.html quite successfully as well I might add) so your not going to bother anything anyway.. You would need to suck up over 100cc of liquid to hydrolock the piston at TDC. Ever seen 100cc of liquid? Thats a lot to be pulled in to the cylinder in ONE intake cycle, remember how many RPM you do per minute, so to pull that in, all in one cycle? You would have to seriously have the filter submurged in water.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Just a thought. I have several K&N filters. If one lightly oils and lets the filter do what I guess would call aging, the oil has a chance to wick out to all parts. The trick is light oil and time. So two filters should be good for the life of the car and makes it more convenient for maintenance as well.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake opinions