Sponsored by:

Passenger Air Bag Cut-off

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Mike Ballo
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Air Bag Cut-off

Hello all, I have a 2004 S (550 AE) and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with a Passenger Airbag cut-off switch? I was told by the local dealer that there is a kit that can be installed. Also, does anyone have the instructions for installing clear side markers?
Old 11-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The passenger airbag can be switched by a special attachment for the Porsche child seat.

The attachement fits on the front seat mounts and had a seatbelt receiver. Then when you put the child seat in the car the seat has the male of the seat belt fitment. When it is plugged in the passinger air bag is disactivated.

However, once you have fitted the hardware you have to ask the nice people in the porsche centre to "activate" the switch in the brain of the car. For this they charge you a rediculous amount of money.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Lots of different stories on this one. I had mine installed by a dealer and purchased for less than $400. Others have reported that some dealers will not install them for fear of liability. As already indicated, even if you buy the parts separately, you still have to have the dealer adjust the computer to turn it on. For what it is worth, I bought the booster version. Once you plug it in and the air bag is turned off, you can lay the booster on the ground and put in any type of full baby seat you want. Or, you can cut the plug off the booster and just plug it in to turn off the air bag. Or, you can buy each of the seats as they get bigger. I believe they are made by Britex, as they appear to be identical to the Britex ones we already had.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Clear Side Marker Installation

Originally Posted by Mike Ballo
Also, does anyone have the instructions for installing clear side markers?
Welcome!

The clearmarker install is easy:
Clear Side Marker Installation
Old 11-24-2006, 02:18 PM
jbanks
1st Gear

Default Airbag Cutoff

I also have a 2004 Boxster S

I bough the bar with the buckle attached from the dealer after finding out that I couldn't get the size child seat I wanted. I installed it and had the dealer do the programming. I don't think I spent more than $100. I did have to make a dummy plug to plug into the buckle to activate the switch inside the buckle.

I found a picture of what the plug needed to look like on some message board. If you need a pic let me know.

Quick Reply: Passenger Air Bag Cut-off