Sponsored by:

What Sensors Involved?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:04 PM
SprintStar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Sensors Involved?

I have an interesting question. What sensors are working when the car picks up speed?

I have a 2003 Boxster S and have a ABS, PSM and Rear Spoiler problem. Are they all related?

When I press the spoiler switch manually, via fuse box, I got a Spoiler Control Error. I guess the good news is my switch is working. :-)

Then, the ABS and PSM works, up to 50km/h (30MPH). Then it triggers an error and says ABS Error, Bring to workshop and PSM error, Bring to workshop.

Of coz also, at 110km/h, the spoiler refuses to deploy and I get a Spoiler Control Error.

I've read the Boxster workshop manual. They only mention how to disable the spoiler, not how to troubleshoot it.

Any ideas? Does the car try to do a speed check by trying to deploy at 50km/h and when it doesn't, it returns a ABS and PSM error.

Thanks!

Sprint.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:08 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

bad abs speed sensor is the 1st thing that comes to mind, that may be the wrong term but there's a sensor, on each wheel I think, that the abs system uses to determine wheel spin

abs and psm are essentially the same system (when psm is there)

I don't know what sensor the DME uses to determin when to deploy and retract but it could very well be the same bad sensor

I've only done it once, but if I manually deploy the spoiler and drive with it I get no errors

Last edited by stumpjumper; 11-09-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

My first instinct is that this is a bad wheel speed sensor somewhere. A quick on an OBD-II code reader will reveal if this is the case.

You don't mention it, but if you've recently changed your wheels to a different size, you will get error messages if the tire circumferences, front to back, differ by more than 5%.

Last edited by cviles; 11-09-2006 at 04:28 PM. Reason: D'oh, meant circumference
Old 11-09-2006, 10:22 PM
SprintStar
Instructor

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
bad abs speed sensor is the 1st thing that comes to mind, that may be the wrong term but there's a sensor, on each wheel I think, that the abs system uses to determine wheel spin

abs and psm are essentially the same system (when psm is there)

I don't know what sensor the DME uses to determin when to deploy and retract but it could very well be the same bad sensor

I've only done it once, but if I manually deploy the spoiler and drive with it I get no errors
Hmm... I can't even manually deploy the spoiler.. Sigh..

Sprint.

Quick Reply: What Sensors Involved?