Sponsored by:

Cracked rim: Is it repairable ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:34 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked rim: Is it repairable ?

While I was changing my oil, I noticed what appears to be a crack on the inside lip on the rear rim on my boxster. The crack looked like a small hair on the rim, running from the edge of the rim(where the sidewall meets the rim and is almost an inch long. I scraped it with a screw driver to make sure it was not paint or something and I could feel the screwdriver hang on the crack.

I have 18" Sport Classic 2's, which are aluminum. Can aluminum rims be welded (repaired) ? Is it safe or will it throw the wheel off balance ? its the inside lip so it would not be visible while on the car.

I didn't take a picture but I'll probably be pulling the rim later this week to have the tire dismounted for a closer look. Will snap a pic then.

I have no idea how the crack happened, it's not like I was clobbering pot holes.

Tom
Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

you can bring it to a wheel repair shop and have them look at it, if it's not a large enough crack that air is leaking it may be fixable
Old 11-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Yes, unless it is a catastrophic failure it can be tig welded , straightened, turned on a lathe, polished, plated or what ever finish you desire. If it is a two or three piece parts can be replaced. Cost is sometimes the decision factor.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's a Boxster S rim that broke into 2 pieces at the track recently.

I didn't talk to the owner, so I don't have the full story. However, you can see a small dent on the inside of the rim in the first pic that stressed it enough to break the whole rim in two. The second pic shows the inside of the tire thru the crack/2 halves.
Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2006, 03:00 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I am guessing the crack is not all the way through because it is not leaking air. As for repair, I plan to pull the rim this weekend for closer inspection and then see if anyone local can repair it. At $850 for a new replacement, I will look for a used one or repiar it !

Tom
Old 11-07-2006, 05:02 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had to have my replaced at a similar cost about a month ago.
I saw recently that Brumos had Boxster wheel takeoffs for sale. If you have to replace it you might want to give them a call.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:09 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

So, your saying a can of fix-a-flat wont seal the above pictured wheel? Wow, that is CRACKED!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:04 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

BTW, I had my rim repaired at a local shop here in Columbus. (wheelmedic) Since the crack was on the inside edge, they didn't do much for finishing it other than leveling the weld and then a tad of grey paint over the area. I will say that after they balanced it, I was surprised because it took less weights. I can feel no difference in ride, which is good.

Anyways, I am back in business.

Tom
Old 10-29-2020, 12:47 AM
xbzus
2nd Gear

Tom, Did the fix last long? I am from Columbus too with the same issue
Old 10-29-2020, 04:10 PM
melzap
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a similar crack (inside and about an inch or so long) on my Volvo wheel, also didn't leak. I cleaned it up and used J-B Weld on it and it has not shown me any issues since I repaired it 4 years ago. If you will be tracking your Boxster, I would just replace the wheel as the track stresses are much more severe then on a daily driver.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:23 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by melzap
I've had a similar crack (inside and about an inch or so long) on my Volvo wheel, also didn't leak. I cleaned it up and used J-B Weld on it and it has not shown me any issues since I repaired it 4 years ago. If you will be tracking your Boxster, I would just replace the wheel as the track stresses are much more severe then on a daily driver.
I would never weld a cracked wheel, much less use an epoxy to 'repair' it. The crack could easily propagate and break far worse than the original crack. I don't see any way an epoxy could be a suitable repair for a wheel.

Driving on a track on cast wheels is already a bit sketchy, cracks or not. Also not saying forged wheels are always superior - it depends. There are too many variables in quality and construction methods to make wide sweeping statements.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 11-18-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:20 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

https://www.wheelenhancement.com/services Is the best Porsche wheel shop I have been to Located close to LAX airport.

Quick Reply: Cracked rim: Is it repairable ?