Sponsored by:

Tiptronic limp mode indication

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 PM
clausn
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic limp mode indication

I have a 2000 Bosxter S with Tiptronic that has been my daily driver for the past 6 years and I have been very satisfied with it and still am. I have a symptom with the transmission indicators, however, that I hope someone can help shed some light on. Occasionally, the D and 4 LEDs start alternating when cruising. I’m told this is “limp-mode” but the transmission is functioning flawlessly in all modes and situations I’ve tried and that I can think of. No error codes are generated per the dealer. The dealer has no good ideas short of going after it hard (read "expensive") but they see no reason to get a new transmission either as it works just fine.
The blinking never comes on right after starting and driving. It takes at least 10 minutes but can take a long as hours of operating before it shows. On many daily trips (1-2 hours typically) the symptoms never show but it happens at least a few times a week I would say.
What can be causing this and can you think of anything to do to eliminate it?

Your help is much appreciated.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would go with a misadjusted shift linkage
Old 10-17-2006, 06:16 PM
clausn
7th Gear

Really?
When the limp-mode indication is not showing (D/4 alternating) there is clear indication of all gear steps and P, R, N, D, M when selected. If the limp-mode IS showing I can still select all modes and gears and the car drives as expected. It seems like the shift linkage is working - just the limp-mode indication coming on occasionally. The test for the shift assembly as described in the Service Manual from Bentley Publishers checks out.
Do you know what situations can trigger the limp-mode indication?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:25 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

lots of things but being that theres no fault that seems the most likely, im pretty sure that an 00 will not store a fault for mis adjusted linkage. Your best be t would be the nexty time it does it drive somewhere withou shutting it off and have it scanned and have them check current shifter positioon
Old 10-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Where did you get that definition of "limp mode"? My Boxster's a manual and I've never checked the manual in the tip section.

I would believe that if the drive train controller felt the tip needed to be in limp mode, it would register an error for diagnostics. It is not good form to signal an error without recording the error, though that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

The blinking lights may not signify a need to replace the transmission but the dealer should be able to tell you why they are blinking. Remind the dealer it possesses factory trained technicians...

Express loss of enjoyment of driving the vehicle. Express some concerns about the safety of the vehicle. If the dealer can't tell you why the lights are blinking, you can very well then assume that something serious could happen to the transmission or the car that could put you, the car, any passengers, at risk.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:58 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

thats completlt untrue dude, it doesnt always register a fault one of the great loop holes in self diagnostic. Delf diagnostic isnt as cut and dry as people think its just read the fault and fix it its rarely that simple.

If the dealer cant duplocate the problem as he states it doesnt always do it they cant see whats wrong when everything is right

why would you asume if they cant duplicate it could kill you thats a nasty assumpirion
Old 10-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
thats completlt untrue dude, it doesnt always register a fault one of the great loop holes in self diagnostic. Delf diagnostic isnt as cut and dry as people think its just read the fault and fix it its rarely that simple.

If the dealer cant duplocate the problem as he states it doesnt always do it they cant see whats wrong when everything is right

why would you asume if they cant duplicate it could kill you thats a nasty assumpirion
If you'd reread my reply, I allowed for the possibility that the controller might not register/log an error code even if the transmission was put into limp mode.

I'm also well aware that simply having the code is not enough to know what's going on, having spent no little time or effort interpreting error codes and monitoring engine operating parameters, and sensor inputs, until I was confident I had narrowed the source of the problem down to the point I was willing to pay someone to change a sensor, the right sensor as it turned out.

Furthermore, I wasn't assuming if the dealer couldn't duplicate the problem it could kill the driver, I was simply indicating a possible way to get the dealer to pay more attention to his complaint.

It is too common for a dealer to simply dismiss a customer's problem report. (Most dealerships consider themselves sales businesses first, and service providers second, when actually it is the other way around: One spends an hour or two buying a car, but can spend many hours in the hands of the service department from then on. And I don't know about other people, but for me, it is how I'm treated when having the car in for service the plays a very big factor in whether I'll buy another car of the same brand, from the same dealership. More than one auto maker has lost what would have been a lifetime customer from having one (or more) of its dealerships provide me with lousy service, consistently lousy servce.)

I believe the customer is entitled to a just a bit more than "no error light, no problem" or "they all do that", or anyone of the various other comments dealers use to blow off customers.

By expressing a loss of enjoyment in driving the car, by expressing concerns about one's safety being at risk -- a sudden failure of the transmission in some areas in common traffic situations can put one at serious risk of being involved in an accident -- one is putting his report about the car's abnormal behavior in a form the dealership it more likely to pay attention to.

It is better I think than simply saying "ok" when told "it's no problem"...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:42 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bottom line here is dollars and cents. No one is going to pay the tech to drive around for hours and not find a problem or take apart a transmission with nothing wrong with it. You dont like working for free do you? Didnt think so. Its unfortunate that this is the way it is, but thats life.

Instead of saying "I dont enjoy the car" or "I think this thing is going to kill me," be more specific about how to duplicate the problem or offer to take someone from the dealership for a ride. Offering a bit of your time will show them that your serious about the problem more than fabricating some stories.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:32 PM
clausn
7th Gear

Thanks everyone for your insights.
Macster, I called the dealership explaining the D/4 alternating and they had to research what it was upon which they came back saying that this was what the manuals called limp-mode. They could not point me to any thing else especially as the transmission seems to work as expected. I have not found any specific description of this anywhere else yet, hence, my reasoning for soliciting input here. I'm still hoping it is a sensor or adjustment thing and I would like to address that.
Yes, I could go aggressively after it with the dealer but as the vehicle is out of warranty I'm hessitant to do so. I cannot replicate the symptom at will and as these things goes, every time I have been at the dealer, I haven't had the symptoms to show.
Would anyone have some documentation describing this from Porsche or other source?

Quick Reply: Tiptronic limp mode indication