Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

comments needed on lack of heat...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:19 PM
rsfeller
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comments needed on lack of heat...

I have been hesitating to get my newer to me (1997) car on a PST2 to figure this out, but I live far from the city!

Anyways, I have very little heat. Thermostat appears to be working fine and temp on gauge holds at 190F all the time.

I get very little heat (warm at best) from vents with heat on 100% on auto. If I turn off the AC system it gets slightly better but coming winter will not do it's job.

This car came from Florida and I'm assuming it spent 100% of it's life on AC and NO heat. Could this be the air mix control and if so is this a common failure?

Bentley shows it mid center of the AC/Heater box assembly and another list told me thinks the control is toward the right and only requires the air bag to come out and not the whole dash.

Lastly I have the Durametric software which shows no error codes for the AC system. Durametric feels if there was an error in the servo there would be an error code, while Loren on rentech.org told me that the PST2 would show a % value of the opening of the servo.

Lastly I will mention LOTS of foam coming out of my air vents. I removed the rest of the foam under the intake filter but don't know if the foam is lined in the entire vent system as it is on my Saabs. Initially I though the foam may have clogged up the heater core looking at Bentley, but now I doubt it.

Any thoughts or comments would be appricated of what could be the cause of my poor heat. Any common failure trend in this area?

thanks.
Shawn
Ohio (newbie post)
Old 10-13-2006, 11:36 PM
opass
Instructor

Hope this link can solve your problem.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/problemareas
Old 10-13-2006, 11:53 PM
rsfeller
Track Day

thanks great source of info, I don't think I had this one bookmarked but saw nothing related to the heater/ac system or did I miss something?

Shawn
Old 10-14-2006, 01:01 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

I had a problem with the mixing flap. It's electronic in the Boxster and the motor was wearing out. With the key in and turned to "On" without starting the motor, you could hear it making a low grinding sound as it was going out. We got in one day and there was no heat at all. A few days later it came back, but eventually had to be replaced.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:34 PM
rsfeller
Track Day

DIY on this or did you have a dealer/indie do it? if so how much was the labor? did they talke the dash out?

thanks.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:20 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Before you start going after particular parts, get the Durametric tool or find someone around you who has one. It can pull any error codes from the HVAC system. That will give you a better idea of where the problem is before you dig in.

Dash had to come out according to the Bentley manual, but in hindsight I think it may be possible to get it out by just removing the passenger airbag and working with it. Check with http://www.sunsetporsche.com for the part price. I'm sure the dealer will charge an arm and a leg to pull the dash and replace it.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:16 AM
rsfeller
Track Day

hmm, you may have missed the 2nd part of my first post. I do have the Durametric and there are no codes but Loren who runs renntech.org stated I could see servo operation values with a PST2, which is next goal. It maybe operational but just not opening the full way to the heat side.

I did hear to that it should be accessable from the airbag side.

Since bentley only shows the air box on a bench can you confirm that the assembly is more toward the passenger side vs. central in the dash area?

Shawn

Quick Reply: comments needed on lack of heat...