Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh boy this sucks....(Stereo Related)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 01:52 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh boy this sucks....(Stereo Related)

So I wanted some more treble from my stereo. I love to hear cymbals crash and such,so treble is all I seek. I thought that ordering some CDT Audio 5EX 5.25" coaxial driver for the door would work....I installed everything fine,go to turn on the stereo and all I get now is LOW frequencies from the door speaker.....It's too much for the 5.25" coaxial driver to handle I think. Is there a crossover in the factory amp for the door panels? If so is there a way to turn it off?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:11 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

blinkwatt, this is the last post on your tweeters????
Did you let a professional audio shop install them?????

Ok just a quick update. Tommorow my CDT Audio 5EX 5.25" Coaxials are arriving and being installed. I will report how much of an improvement the stereo will get from just swapping the doors speakers. I'm waiting for another batch of the custom made dash speaker mounts to come to order some 4" Coaxials for the dash. Has anyone put 5.25" Focal Access speakers in their door panels?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:18 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

I'm waiting to do the tweeters until another batch is made by the board member,so I dont have to destroy the old speakers. Until then I decided that I would install some 5.25" Coaxial driver in the door panels. I didn't let a shop install them as I have done plenty of audio adventures in my short lived life. I think that there is a crossover in the factory amp(drives the door speakers) that I never even thought about. Oh well,I guess what I will just uninstall them if I can't find a way to bypass the factory amp crossover if there is one.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:29 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, I'm a real dumba$$ when it comes to audio installation

I know nothing of what you speak "crossover"

Good luck!!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:32 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Originally Posted by rbennett
Sorry, I'm a real dumba$$ when it comes to audio installation

I know nothing of what you speak "crossover"

Good luck!!
A "crossover" is what helps seperate the frequencies that are sent to a speaker.
Example,if you have a tweeter,you want HIGH frequencies going to it,thus you would use a crossover to filter out the frequencies you dont want. This helps speaker to produce accurate sound,and ensuring that they wont blow.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:17 AM
ajauch
Instructor

Default Crossovers?

I think it depends on what options you have installed. In some 986's, the door speakers are pretty "thin" and are really more like midrange speakers. There is an "ugrade" that gives you speakers that are more like woofers. The only way I can tell is by the "thickness" of the door speaker mounts. The third stage is the bose kit but I'm assuming you don't have that. If you have the first option, I don't believe that there are any crossovers installed. If you have the second option, then yes, I think that they are limiting the doors to just lower freq's. Sorry, I know that there are option codes for all these things, but I don't know what they are.

I've had a couple of runs at this game and the conclusion that I've come to is that the only way to really make this better is to ditch the stock amp and go with a new unit. Then you can do whatever you want and balance out the speakers to suit your tastes. I did that on my '00 and that's the plan for the '04 as soon as budget and time allow.

Let me know if you want a picture of the "upgraded" speakers, that's what I have on my '04.

Alex
Old 09-27-2006, 07:27 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Yeah the door speakers are woofers and do have a crossover in the amp....Shucks,oh well. I already made everything OEM again. My buddy keeps convincing me to go the "Reus" route,which might happen,but $$$$$$. I think I will just change out the dash tweeter and replace with a MB Quart ,Focal or CDT Audio for a kick in the treble. After all that what I'm looking for. Anyone know the size of the factory tweeter?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:59 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Yeah the door speakers are woofers and do have a crossover in the amp....Shucks,oh well. I already made everything OEM again. My buddy keeps convincing me to go the "Reus" route,which might happen,but $$$$$$. I think I will just change out the dash tweeter and replace with a MB Quart ,Focal or CDT Audio for a kick in the treble. After all that what I'm looking for. Anyone know the size of the factory tweeter?
Dash speakers are 4" + 3/4" tweeter. I replaced mine with MB Quart DKD110 coax drivers and they sound great, but I dont see why you couldn't use the Quart model with the separate tweeters if you want. Just be careful of the tweeter size.

Quick Reply: Oh boy this sucks....(Stereo Related)