Boxster Car Seat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:07 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster Car Seat?

Folks:

Does anyone know if it is possible to install a car seat safely in a Boxter. I say "safely" because I assume you need to disable the passenger side airbag.

I remember seeing a special Porsche car seat that had some sort of mechanism that disabled the airbag but I really don't want to buy a special seat just for the few times my kid will ride in the BXTR. We have a Marathon car seat that we use in the SUV and I'd like to put it into the BXTR for those rare occasions when my daughter needs to ride with me (like if the SUV is in the shop or something).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Alex
Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you just really need the bar it bolts to the seath and disbales the air bag when the chile seat is buckled in
Old 09-21-2006, 11:45 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Default Part?

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
you just really need the bar it bolts to the seath and disbales the air bag when the chile seat is buckled in
OK. Is this a Porsche part? I assume you mean I get it from the dealer. Yes?

Alex
Old 09-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

The buckle must be compatable with the receiver on the activation bar. You will need to have the dealer program you car. Should you decide to remove the bar and not reprogram there is a work around. You might be able to get by without the bar but it will take some tinkering.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

we are talking about a child or passangers life i dont think thats the place to tinker
Old 09-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Porsche child seat has a seatbelt type connector that must be clipped into the seatbelt receiver mounted on the front mounts of the passinger seat. This seat belt receiver is connected to the passinger air bag.

Your Porsche centre must activate the switch in the car software otherwise it does nothing.
Then when activated and the kinder sitz is clipped in the airbag is off. Take it out and the airbag is on.

I'm 99.5% certain that if you remove the kindersitz fitting the airbag will remain active all the time. Porsche are not stupid.

There are aftermarket companies that will install a key switch for you the risk is that you forget to switch it back on when you have an adult in the seat.

I got my Porsche kindersitz and fitting bar on e-bay and the expensive part was the best part of $100 I had to pay the Porsche centre for two mins work to activate the software.

A rip-off on a safety item is just evil.

Quick Reply: Boxster Car Seat?