Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting noises coming from my '01...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks arenared. Unfortunately, the noise doesn't last long enough for me to localize it when I'm driving. And it doesn't happen when I'm not driving it. (..talking about the "induction howl" here..) But I'll keep an ear out for it and see if I can make it howl.

I'll see if I can get under the car this weekend and have a look-see. Not just for this, but to keep an eye on the RMS. It has been replaced (this summer) with the updated seal, but I'm going to try to keep an eye on it anyway. While it's under warranty and all...

Cheers!
Old 09-24-2006, 04:42 PM
kenkamm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the noise you guys are hearing? This is what mine does, not sure if it's the air pump or something else. Listen to the video about 6 seconds in.

"woooo...........woooo............wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Boxster Noise
Old 09-24-2006, 06:25 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the oil seperator fail, in a noisy fashion.

Sounded like a dying whale - ok I have no idea what that sounds like, but it was a hell of a squeal!

Started out that you heard it at start-up, then it went away.

Then it did it all the time.

What you hear is the seperator cavitating, and that's a bad thing as it gets air bubbles into your oil.

If you suspect the seperator, get it fixed ASAP.

Chris.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

FYI I've had the car at my dealership for a bit. The techs were able to isolate the noise (and make it happen), but are in the process of diagnosing exactly what it is. They replaced a couple of parts last week to no avail, so they've ordered more parts which we'll try this week. When they track it down, I'll be sure to post the results.

Stay tuned...
Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken.
That's exactly what I'm hearing.

More later...
Old 09-25-2006, 04:45 PM
clifforza
Intermediate

Doug, I'm interested in what the techs say. Mine (2000S Tip) has a howl/ whistle that sounds like someone is blowing across the top of a beer bottle. It happens intermitently but a lot. All I have to do is change throttle position and it stops (for a while). It actually sounds like it is coming from the R front in the area of the fuel filler, and it can get LOUD. Enough that it is kind of embarrassing driving through the local village. Aparently there can be an issue with the venting system at the fuel filler. I took a tech for a ride a while ago and of course couldn't reproduce the noise, so I've been living with it. Gets pretty irritating though. Please keep us posted. Cliff
Old 09-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Will do Cliff. The noise you described is exactly what I'm hearing. I thought it was coming from my passenger side vent (behind the door), but the techs at our dealership are focusing on the fuel filler "air issue" you're talking about. As I mentioned, they replaced a few parts last week, but gave me the car back for the weekend while they ordered more parts. They assured me that it wouldn't leave me stranded on the side of the road anytime soon!

I'll do my best to explain what they come up with once it's fixed. I'm expecting to put the car back in the shop later this week.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:12 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep same here, hissing when I'm driving slow speeds. Seems to ge louder the faster I go. Take
foot off throttle hissing stops. hmm....
Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 AM
kenkamm

Now that you guys mention the fuel filler possibility, I must say that when my GF was filming while I drove, I asked her to listen for the noise at the vent behind the door, but she thought she heard it coming from the front...

Perfectlap, I think the noise you are hearing might be different... mine is not a hissing but rather a whistling or howling... just like clifforza said, sounds like you're blowing over the top of a beer bottle. Did you watch the little video I posted?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:01 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah I listened to the audio and sound like the mystery sound goes in and out even though you seem to have the throttle steady. But yeah it does sound like a bottle whistle. I shouldn't have said hissing.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:00 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PURGE VALVE, OVERRUN VALVE, BLOCKED VENMT LINES , VENT VALVE ALL COULD CAUSE A WHISTEL IN THAT AREA
Old 09-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Another "me too" here - 2000 S. Mine is on the passenger side, but I'd say, if I had to zoom in on the location, it's near the forward edge of the door, and at about 2,200 rpm ish. So, mostly, I'm posting here to get e-mail notices for when someone comes up with the cause and risks.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow...so many people with the same issue. My car still hasn't been back in the shop for the new parts (awaiting parts from Porsche). When I know, I'll share the info!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 PM
clifforza
Intermediate

When I took mine in they said they cleaned out the vent lines. Thought they had it, but a couple of miles down the road, it started again. Maybe they're haunted by the ghost of some guy who got squashed on the assembly line? It is a somewhat forlorn moan.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:40 PM
oversteerdawg
Advanced

Default HERE'S THE FIX

I had the same problem, sucking/low pitched whistling noise. The sound should go away briefly with a blip of the throttle. The issue is either the purge valve for the fuel evap system or the bleeder valve at the fuel filler tube. This is how to test for it. There is a small vent hole under the fuel filler door, towards the front of the car. Cover the hole, if the noise goes away it is the bleeder valve or the purge valve. Easy and relatively inexpensive fixes. The purge valve is in the engine compartment under the intake manifold. The bleeder valve is on the fuel filler tube and accessed through the wheel well. PM me if you need details on how to fix/find the affected parts.

Last edited by oversteerdawg; 10-03-2006 at 02:08 PM. Reason: i kant speel

Quick Reply: Interesting noises coming from my '01...