Sponsored by:

Boxster S newbie Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:09 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
All I did was respond to your blanket statment "No need to heel and toe in modern cars but I suppose it can be done with practice if someone wanted".
Nah, you were being a .. Edited by John D.

Not here - put it on another Internet Forum.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by J-RAD
Nah, you were being a condescending jerkoff - a trait that I'm sure comes naturally.

I always wondered why this board didn't get more activity, perhaps I've found the answer - you get responses from people like yourself.
That was uncalled for.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On heel-toeing, while technically one might say that it's not needed on a modern car - neither is a manual transmission! The Carrera Turbo with automatic transmission is faster and gets better mileage than the manual transmission! And for that matter, todays' four door sports sedan will out handle, out accelerate, out brake and generally out perform almost all of the sports cars of yesterday. So why bother with modern sports cars at all? Why not have a blast and have three passengers? I for one will always have a sports car with a manual transmission and always heel toe downshift. I do it all the time. And despite the common warning that it's cheaper to change brake pads than clutches, the clutch on my 911 lasted for over 100,000 miles, and the clutch on my Boxster is 10k over what I'm told they normally go for. So, I'm doing something right. Why have a sports car if you're not going to heel toe to hear that glorious decelerating engine whine? And if you are going to do it, rather than having the synchros take up all the stress of the mismatched rpms, and rather than having the jerkiness from downshifting without matching rpm to speed, might as well blip the gas (my Boxster certainly doesn't blip the gas for me on a downshift).

As to making it work on the Boxster, I too found the same problem at first. I ultimately found that I could do it with rolling my foot sideways over to the gas pedal. On my 911, it needs my foot up in the air, with the ball firmly on the brake, and a good twist of my heel over to the gas pedal. It's like second nature now. But, it didn't work all that well on the Boxster. Like I said, it was more of a roll of the foot. I didn't believe it when people said it to me when I first got the car and inquired about the same problem. But, it is now second nature too.

Quick Reply: Boxster S newbie Q's