Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S newbie Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:42 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

your first set are the lightweight "02 carrera 5-spoke" wheel. the second set are the 18" turbo twist wheel.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:50 PM
giskard
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$800 for a coolant tank?? Hmmmmm
Old 08-17-2006, 10:59 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

that's a highly generous estimate.

it's about a $500cdn job here at Weissach, I've heard figures like 350-400usd to get it all done.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:25 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on a boxster or a 996, 996 tanks are cheaper if they are the sensor in the side style like 120$ + coolant and labor. the bottom sensor style is like 340$ for the tank + labor 2-3 hours and coolant
boxster tanks are 200-250$ + 4-5 hours labor and coolant
Old 08-18-2006, 12:25 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by giskard
Is that right that even the 2000 S's can have RMS failures?
How about catastrophic engine failures? (sleeve failing, etc)
RMS/intermediate shaft issues can occur on Boxster's and 911's. It is not an issue exclusive to the Boxster S. So, yes it is possible. Understand, it can be repaired and there are different degrees of the problem - most are very minor. I recommend a pre-purchase inspection (regardless of what you buy) from a shop that is familiar with Boxsters.

Engine failures are a non-issue - especially for the 'S'. There seem to be a couple posters on this board who insist that there is a major problem with 98-99 MY Boxster (base) engines. However, I see no evidence of such issues and I see very strong evidence of abuse with one of those cases.

What year did PSM first appear in the S? About what % of S's had it?
I believe PSM was first available in 2001. Prior to that traction control was available. Both were options. Not sure about the percentage with them but if I ventured a guess, I'd say over 50% (again, a complete guess though - put it this way, I see more with it, than without but that may be just dumb luck).

How about the stiffer (030?) suspension package? What % had it?
I can install it, but how much do they go for if I buy used?
Also don't know but there are a number of good aftermarket options available. The car is quite capable with or without it.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:37 PM
J-RAD
Racer

1) The gas pedal doesn't seem amenable to heel-toe downshifting with light braking. Is this something some folks correct with pedal attachments or by bending something a bit?
No need to heel and toe in modern cars but I suppose it can be done with practice if someone wanted.

2) The gas pedal feels like it has a bit of stiction - is this something correctible with a bit of grease in the throttle cable?
Hmmm. Got me with that. I guess I'd have to drive it to understand. As mentioned, there is nothing to grease.

4) It had 18" "turbo look" wheels - would 17" factory wheels be lighter?
Yes, the 17's are smaller. Which also means they are narrower and have less of a contact patch.

5) There was a little red lamp flashing beside the temp gauge, though it was only reading a bit more than 180*F. What does this lamp mean?
Coolant...this was covered in previous posts.

6) I didn't try to break the rear loose with power - How does the car behave powering out of corners - does it transition smoothly to power oversteer, and is it controllable and behaved?
The car handles marvelously - which is why it's consistantly mentioned in any discussion about best handling production cars. It's very predictable and easy to recover from. That said, it's not meant to be powered around turns with the tail wagging out. The car will give you feedback. You need to pay attention to it. Once the backend does break loose, chances are you're going for a ride...like a top!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by J-RAD
No need to heel and toe in modern cars but I suppose it can be done with practice if someone wanted.
What?? are you kidding?? are you sure you understand what heel & toe is??
Old 08-18-2006, 06:24 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
What?? are you kidding?? are you sure you understand what heel & toe is??
Yes, but I also assume, unless it's overtly stated somewhere and I missed it, that we're not talking about road racing techniques here. The real purpose of the technique is to rev-match to control weight transfer. For your average daily street driving, there really is no need to heel and toe because rev-matching is handled effectively by the synchromesh. Unless a person is driving like an asshat on the public streets, balance and rev-matching are relative non-issues.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:30 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LMAO @ ASSHAT
Old 08-18-2006, 08:50 PM
giskard
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to heel and toe when slowing for corners that I need to downshift for, when driving spiritedly, because it's smoother, and it's fun. It heel and toes better when you are braking hard, but when braking lightly (like driving 6/10ths), the gas pedal is too far from the brake pedal.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, but I also assume, unless it's overtly stated somewhere and I missed it, that we're not talking about road racing techniques here. The real purpose of the technique is to rev-match to control weight transfer. For your average daily street driving, there really is no need to heel and toe because rev-matching is handled effectively by the synchromesh. Unless a person is driving like an asshat on the public streets, balance and rev-matching are relative non-issues.
Wow.. I am amazed... you really have no clue. synchromesh does NOT match revs. I guess you do not downshift much...

Here is an idea for you

Heel and Toe explained, google is your friend and helps you not look stupid
Old 08-19-2006, 02:57 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Wow.. I am amazed... you really have no clue. synchromesh does NOT match revs. I guess you do not downshift much...

Here is an idea for you

Heel and Toe explained, google is your friend and helps you not look stupid
Yeah, I don't downshift much at all... :

Video of J-rad not ever downshifting and being otherwise clueless

And BTW, nice links to sites that describe the technique but nothing about how the transmission works. You do understand that's where the synchros are located, right? - google is your friend and helps you not look stupid! What's more is your last link just uses a lot more words to say exactly what I said above: The real purpose of the technique is to rev-match to control weight transfer. Perhaps if you weren't concentrating so hard on that lump of coal that's obviously stuck up your *** (or perhaps that's your head?) you'd have understood that.

The synchromesh matches the engine speed gears to the speed of the road driven gears, thus speeding up, or slowing down as necessary so that when the teeth match up they're moving at the same speed and mesh smoothly. Without them, you'd need to double clutch to shift smoothly. As such, from that standpoint, for day-to-day driving synchros essentially perform the function of "rev-matching". Now, feel free to go ahead and split hairs on that by yourself all day if you want...

Rev-matching (and thus the toe and heel technique) for use on a road course is a different story and has a single purpose. If you don't think the using a heel and toe technique to rev-match up is for the sole purpose of better control weight transfer, then what DO you think it's for?

(actually, I don't give a rat's *** what you think it's purpose is because I'm not really interested in the "discussion" anymore - internet pissing matches tend to bore me. The guy wanted to know if he could do it, it looks like he has his answer. And I'll work on improving my answers to future questions...god forbid we get your panties in a bunch again)

Last edited by J-RAD; 08-19-2006 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Just curious, what track was the video shot at? Looks like a fun track to drive.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, I don't downshift much at all... :

Video of J-rad not ever downshifting and being otherwise clueless

And BTW, nice links to sites that describe the technique but nothing about how the transmission works. You do understand that's where the synchros are located, right? - google is your friend and helps you not look stupid! What's more is your last link just uses a lot more words to say exactly what I said above: The real purpose of the technique is to rev-match to control weight transfer. Perhaps if you weren't concentrating so hard on that lump of coal that's obviously stuck up your *** (or perhaps that's your head?) you'd have understood that.

The synchromesh matches the engine speed gears to the speed of the road driven gears, thus speeding up, or slowing down as necessary so that when the teeth match up they're moving at the same speed and mesh smoothly. Without them, you'd need to double clutch to shift smoothly. As such, from that standpoint, for day-to-day driving synchros essentially perform the function of "rev-matching". Now, feel free to go ahead and split hairs on that by yourself all day if you want...

Rev-matching (and thus the toe and heel technique) for use on a road course is a different story and has a single purpose. If you don't think the using a heel and toe technique to rev-match up is for the sole purpose of better control weight transfer, then what DO you think it's for?

(actually, I don't give a rat's *** what you think it's purpose is because I'm not really interested in the "discussion" anymore - internet pissing matches tend to bore me. The guy wanted to know if he could do it, it looks like he has his answer. And I'll work on improving my answers to future questions...god forbid we get your panties in a bunch again)
All I did was respond to your blanket statment "No need to heel and toe in modern cars but I suppose it can be done with practice if someone wanted"

But wow, gee, you really put me in my place......heh.. whatever..I shall not bore your further
Old 08-19-2006, 03:54 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Originally Posted by Charlie C
Just curious, what track was the video shot at? Looks like a fun track to drive.
The video was taken at Brainerd International Raceway (BIR) in MN a couple weeks ago. More track info here:
http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/MN/Brainerd.html

It's a very fun, very fast track.

Quick Reply: Boxster S newbie Q's