Sponsored by:

99 Boxster Just Blew Engine!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:45 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
that isn't quite true. a lot of peole say how reliable their boxster is (you are apparently one of them?)...but a lot of people have said their engine blew up (even if it were 1/100 i would say that is a pretty high rate of failure). i bought a honda element when they first came out (very cool car), and i was pretty active on that forum; in 2 years i never once read on that forum about any problem worse than a broken windshield (the result of a bad weld on some of the first elements). when you compare the boxster to the element (admittedly not an apples to apples comparison) you simply do not get the same warm and fuzzy feeling for the mechanicals...

it seems to me that porsche (over the last 20 years) is incapable of making a car without at least one major defect which affects either the engine, or the tranmission and can cost the owner $ks without much warning...and, in spite of the fact that these are defects, porsche does not stand behind their cars and fix them.
I think that, if this is true, it is just a side effect of engineering for a max performance and streetability envelope. Boxster engines are so close to max output from the factory that you can easily spend $10k to get an extra 40 or 50 ponies out of it. Spend that kind of money on a Japanese or American engine, and you'll pump the HP up a lot more than 40 or 50 HP. That is a pretty strong indicator of how close to optimum the Porsche engine design is from the factory. That, combined with the manner in which we drive these gems, almost has to lead to more problems than the average engine system is going to have. That's kind of common sense.

I also think that this car, in particular, may get more bad press than others because of it's afforability. More of us can afford a used Boxster than other Porsche models, and more of us are probably a little less savy about maintenance, tend to do more of it ourselves, and may be less able to afford the cost of maintaining the car properly. Small things can lead to big problems on a performance car. It isn't as forgiving as your average car. Cheat on the quality of the oil, or the correct weights, or change intervals, or plug heat range, or tune ups, filters, etc., and you can slowly destroy the engine.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

You might try contacting AAA for an arbitration hearing. If you and Porsche can agree to the arbitrator making a decision then you both are held to that decision.

Several years ago I discovered a problem with my VW Vanagon. Two others in my office had experienced the problem with theirs. I was the original purchaser of the vehicle (which makes some difference). I happened to keep the problem from occuring by staying ahead of the maintenance on it. But,--I had extensive thorough documentation on the car from the first quart of oil and gallon of gas to the present. I kept excellent records. These things are key. VW agreed to the binding arbitration and ultimately was hit with paying 75% of the total bill. This was satisfactory to me, although I knew others were fully covered by VW for the same "known" problem. That was my fault,--for keeping it alive for so long that they hesitated to do it on their dime considering the mileage.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:05 PM
DGLA
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update 8/17/06

Another week of phone calls . . . the Porsche Area Rep informed me again that there was nothing they could do, but that he would see if the dealership would give me a break on the price of the rebuilt engine. Still no real apparent concern for a Porsche customer. A few more days later the service center contacted me with the offer of a 10% discount..... (the standard coupon discount available through their mailings). I am going to continue in my efforts....
Old 08-18-2006, 02:29 AM
85percent
Instructor

my 99 boxster engine blew as well. very rare of porsche to replace engines for this- which is why I hate porsche because its a known problem that is nobody's fault but theirs. after it happened, i had a boxster S engine put in my boxster for a little over $12k cash, including labor.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

Bye bye Porsche, hello Miata.

That is just effin' ridiculous. $50k-$60k for these things new and they don't even last seven years. Hell, a rustang could do better. Ford would probably even stand behind it better.

I know it's supposedly just the early ones, but I'm giving up on Boxsters if this is the best they'll do.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche

That is just effin' ridiculous. $50k-$60k for these things new and they don't even last seven years. Hell, a rustang could do better. Ford would probably even stand behind it better.

I know it's supposedly just the early ones, but I'm giving up on Boxsters if this is the best they'll do.
Buy an 80's 911, it will last forever.....

Also, remember one thing about internet forums like this, you hear all the bad and little of the good, I know many people with 986/996's that have had few issues and had the cars for some time. You also do not know how people take care of their cars, I also must add that what work I have had done at my local Porsche dealership has been first rate, they treat me very well and even provide a loaner despite me not buying the car there.
When I had my Audi S4 I was used to being treated like crap from the dealer I bought the car from.

In any event, enjoy the Miata if thats what you get, they are awesome cars but they aint a Porsche.

just my .0000986 cents
Old 08-18-2006, 10:48 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The boxsters are good cars, u will never find any model or make of a car without their problems fords gms all have their "issues",
For the most parts boxsters enjoy long trouble free lifes
Old 08-18-2006, 12:09 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche

Oh man, this is one of the funniest posts I've read in awhile! Thanks for the laugh!
Old 08-18-2006, 03:17 PM
85percent
Instructor

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
The boxsters are good cars, u will never find any model or make of a car without their problems fords gms all have their "issues",
but an engine failure is a little more than an "issue"

tell me of any other car company in the last decade that released a car with a known engine failure, well, besides porsche.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:05 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

When did they release a car with a known failure. the failures are happening now not when they were new. ford had cobras with bad heads, gt40s too and bad suspension. gm had piston slap issues in all their lsx motors, dodge had balljoints seperating. no mfg is flawless. I think that the issue is blown way out of proportion by guys like you coming on raising hell, then someone with no experiece with the matter reads it and that becomes the holy grail.
Your the orinal owner............you have your sevice issue.........porsche 99% will take care of you
you didnt buy the car from porsche you bought it from a person or a used car lot or just used
porsche shouldnt take care of you. you didnt pay one cent to porche for it why should they step up 10k for u. if they dont they dont lose anything.............you wont buy another used porsche thats 0$ from porsches pocket.
think it though dude
Old 08-20-2006, 02:46 PM
85percent
Instructor

I know what you mean, but let me put it into perspective here..

I'm a sales manager for Verizon Wireless, we sold a phone for a while (it was a Kyocera) that had major battery over-heating issues.. These batteries wouldn't just heat up, they actually exploded on two people.. Well, Kyocera stepped up and recalled every phone and battery that this could possibly happen with.. They didn't care who had the phone, who was carrying the phone, who originally bought it, who was barrowing it, they just swapped them out for new models with no questions.. Granted this helped prevent a class-action lawsuit, but Kyocera lost millions on doing this..

The point is, Kyocera made a mistake, admitted they made a mistake, then fixed their mistake.. I can't give Porsche credit for doing even half of that with this engine failing problem.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:57 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

replacing a battery that could blow up and hurt someone is diffrent then replacing an engine in 1000s of cars that will likely never have an , being a second or third of forth owner you cannot verify that these cars with engine failures were maintanined so it could easily be a LACK of maintance issue casuing engine failures. engies fail its mechanical mechianl things break do they all break no do some break yes, im sorry that you got the short end but porsche cannot be expected to help out every 2nd 3rd and forth owner out there, if they did they would be in the same shape as audi . If you bought the car new and maintained at the dealership, porsche likely would have helped you.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:03 PM
85percent
Instructor

yes I understand since Porsche sees no investment in helping 2nd or 3rd owners, they won't help. but the minute this became a known issue (years ago, right?) with porsche, they should have recalled the engines before there even were 2nd and 3rd owners.. instead, the company dusted the thousands of incidents under the rug and moved on..
Old 08-20-2006, 10:08 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 85percent
yes I understand since Porsche sees no investment in helping 2nd or 3rd owners, they won't help. but the minute this became a known issue (years ago, right?) with porsche, they should have recalled the engines before there even were 2nd and 3rd owners.. instead, the company dusted the thousands of incidents under the rug and moved on..
Based on another thread I thought you were fed up and dumping the Boxster for something else?

I suggest that both you and PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche get over it, sell your P-Cars and get some nice fried rice.......

But hey, what do I know, I've only owned and driven Porsche's for the last 30 years, never had a significant failure and I've driven them hard, very hard. But don't listen to me, I don't know anything about Porsche's.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:45 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, I have never ever heard anyone say:

“Wow…you own a Mazda!!! How does it handle??”

puttinthepoorbackinporsche & 85percent:

Why are you guys still bashing Boxsters on this forum???
Thought you would be in Miata heaven by now

Quick Reply: 99 Boxster Just Blew Engine!