Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This:

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/new.php3/silsleeveliners.html

looks interesting!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:41 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

DGLA, we are all waiting with baited breath so to speak....

Post when you know what Porsche is going to do about it?????

tightbox. great article and should add fuel for DGLA when dealing with Porsche
Old 08-08-2006, 09:51 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear of your engine troubles. Our 2003 Boxster currently has 18K miles on it, and on its third engine. When the last engine was installed, I asked my local dealer whats up with the later model engine troubles, they indicated that Boxsters (and 996's) have never had much engine trouble, ever. LOL! I laughed, and thanked him for their second engine replacement under warranty.

I certainly hope you get a lot of Porsche help on this one, despite this car being out of warranty etc. 54K miles is not a lot. Cars of this value should not have any troubles like this..
Old 08-08-2006, 11:53 AM
DGLA
AutoX

Update - August 8th --- Yesterday the Service Manager called to inform me that Porsche is not going to cover the replacement cost of the engine as my Boxster is too old and too far beyond warranty. I conveyed that I was fully aware that last year they replaced an engine on a '98 which would have been the same age as mine is at this point and that I still felt there is precedent for them to replace my engine. The Service Manger is going to contact the Area Rep and have him contact me directly. There also seems to have been some reluctance on their part because I am not the first owner of this car, I am the second. I'm going to keep trying.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:24 PM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

This sort of unwillingness to stand behind a product isn't really giving me that "warm soft cuddly" brand loyalty feeling. Is it just the early Boxsters that are prone to this or are there documented cases of the later and/or "S" models having it happen also?

And what about the Cayman/S? Anyone seen/heard failures on those yet?

I'm seriously rethinking the whole Boxster thing based on this. . . Maybe it's time to just get a Miata or a Sky or a Solstace.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:17 PM
turbomx5
Track Day

I just bought a Boxster this afternoon in Newport. I didn't see this thread first. I bought a 99 with 16/k miles. Used cars outside of warranty are a gamble. I would ask porsche to replace my engine, but I don't think I'd expect them too. Stinks they are taking a hard line. If I'd have known about this car, I might have bought it and the cayman S powerplant at mind over motorsports.

but to the above poster, I have owned several miatas. most fun car to own, and bullet proof. go for it.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:53 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
This sort of unwillingness to stand behind a product isn't really giving me that "warm soft cuddly" brand loyalty feeling. Is it just the early Boxsters that are prone to this or are there documented cases of the later and/or "S" models having it happen also?

And what about the Cayman/S? Anyone seen/heard failures on those yet?

I'm seriously rethinking the whole Boxster thing based on this. . . Maybe it's time to just get a Miata or a Sky or a Solstace.
So it's inportatnt to make the distinction here on what causes Porsche to replace a Boxster engine.

Early model years had issues with Porous Block and slipping cylinder linings - these are catastrophic failures and hence require engine swap.

All years of Boxster, 996, and 997, Cayman for that matter, have potential RMS issues - it's a 'feature' of the design.

If your car is under warranty, and the RMS failure is caused by manufacturing tollerences being ouside what is acceptable - you see people getting replacement engines.

If the car is out of warranty, or the seal failure is 'correctable' with a new seal, you see people going for RMS replacement only.

The problem has been that people hear about RMS leading to engine swap, and assume it's a fatal engine issue.

It's not.

It's annoying, but not much more than that.

The fact that Porsche replaced engines due to RMS failure - is just Porsche trying to do the right thing.

Do other manufacturers have similar issues - sure they do.

Make you choices, but don't be put off by the FUD.

Chris.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:17 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Make you choices, but don't be put off by the FUD.
Out of 5 close Boxster owning friends, with cars from 97-2000, we've had 4 new engines.
what i'm put off by is your 2nd quote there: 4/5 of your friends cars needed new engines? there is no way that is an acceptable failure rate. my search for a used boxster just ended.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:55 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
what i'm put off by is your 2nd quote there: 4/5 of your friends cars needed new engines? there is no way that is an acceptable failure rate. my search for a used boxster just ended.
It's a true story - but note:

All of these cars had replacement engines paid for by Porsche, even the one out of warranty.

It's a interesting stat but you couldn't call it a scientific study.

My personal choice was to keep one of the Boxster's (It now has over 70,000 miles on it's new engine) and also to keep buying Porsche with a 996, which has the same potential for RMS issues.

But as I said, it's a personal choice.

Chris.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:23 PM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

I think I'm gonna' go back to looking for a turbo Miata. At least those engines tend to stay in one piece.

If I DO get a Boxster, remind me not to hang out with you guys (no offense, but the statistics are downright frightening!)
Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just arm yourself with the proper knowledge on picking out the proper Porsche before buying the Miata

My 2000 MY Boxster has 78k miles on it and is absolutly the most reliable car I have ever owned!!!

The only problem to date: I have lost two wheel bearings

My 80's MY 911 SC had over 120k miles with no major problems.

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
I think I'm gonna' go back to looking for a turbo Miata. At least those engines tend to stay in one piece.

If I DO get a Boxster, remind me not to hang out with you guys (no offense, but the statistics are downright frightening!)
Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 AM
mborkow
Drifting

i had a MY2000 miata before i got my current 993. the miata is a great car, great bang for the buck, but you don't want to get in an accident in one; it is very light and there really isn't much between you and the rest of the world (i assume the boxster is a heavier and a little safer though i could be wrong). as far as maintenance and problems: oil changes were $35 and the only problem i had was that i had blown all the struts by 55k miles.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:25 AM
jbarrow
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Miatas are, in general, very reliable and inexpensive to maintain.

Just one point: The first and second generation cars did not have "struts". They have double wishbones front and rear with dampers and coil springs. The newest models do, I believe, have a strut setup where the top suspension mounting point is located by the dampening assembly.

-James
Old 08-11-2006, 03:33 PM
DGLA
AutoX

Default Significant Update 8/11/06

Porsche Area Representative finally called me today (not Mr. Richie, this is a new Rep) - I've been calling the service manager everyday who has been in-turn contacting the Rep daily. Porsche is declining to replace the engine at their expense (even if I cover labor) due "the car being so far out of warranty..." The Rep went on to say repeatedly that Porsche denies having any defects or problems with these engines. Despite my stating evidence and documentation to the contrary as well as presenting precedent having already been set by Porsche for replacing engines on vehicles of the same age and also out of warranty, the Rep continued to state the same line that "the car is so far out of warranty..." that it's not Porsche's responsibility. He encouraged me to me to make a documentary on the issue and get all the interviews and evidence I thought I could as it would probably make a good story! I attempted to get his office address and contact information and he told me he works from his home and has no boss or manager and that I could call him on his cell phone number (which he told me to feel free to publish on the web - maybe later) or send written correspondence to the Atlanta Porsche office to the attention of Customer Service. I was definitely treated as if I was of no concern and that Porsche (as he represents Porsche) could pretty much care less what I thought of them or if I ever bought another Porsche or told the world of their supposed engine problems and/or poor customer service. He said along the lines of - how could I possibly know that my engine failed due to a porous block or slipped cylinder lining or any other reason without getting inside the engine anyway... and how are they to know that I didn't blow the engine myself due to excessive RPMs or low oil or some other reason. His information about my initial purchase of the car while it was still under a warranty which has since expired was not completely clear to him and he said he was going to look into that again - but basically he didn't think it was going to matter. I have been patient and polite with all my dealings with Porsche including today's conversation but have not been returned that courtesy. I will keep everyone posted and appreciate your continued input.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:25 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that I would send that entire post directly to Porsche USA with names and dates to support everything. I would express amazement at being treated to cavalierly by a representative of Porsche. I can't immagine that Porsche would be too pleased with his attitude and some of the comments he made while interacting with you.....regardless of whether they feel that engine replacement should be on you or not.

Quick Reply: 99 Boxster Just Blew Engine!