Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you test the DME for problems?

Old 08-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Gary Gaukler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deliriousga
I pulled the part out (996.606.115.00) and it seems to be the throttle spring. The throttle cable connects to it and when you let off the pedal the spring inside the part pulls the throttle cable back to idle position. When I twist it like the throttle cable would, the spring makes creaking sounds and it does not return smoothly. I'm going to order the part and replace it later this week to see what happens.

Thanks!!
Interesting. Before all this happened, had you ever noticed that when you let off the gas very slowly, the throttle action seemed to be somewhat sticky, as if it didn't want to close the throttle smoothly? That's what I can feel on mine, and I am wondering if I should take a look at the under-dash throttle unit...

Was it hard pulling out that unit? Did you take any pictures by any chance?

Gary
Old 08-20-2006, 08:01 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gary Gaukler
Interesting. Before all this happened, had you ever noticed that when you let off the gas very slowly, the throttle action seemed to be somewhat sticky, as if it didn't want to close the throttle smoothly? That's what I can feel on mine, and I am wondering if I should take a look at the under-dash throttle unit...

Was it hard pulling out that unit? Did you take any pictures by any chance?

Gary
I never really noticed the pedal getting sticky. The pedal actually feels very smooth since I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it. It's just when I turn the part that's connected to the spring manually that I can feel it. The electrical connector for everything comes straight out of that part so I think the signal that says the spring is messed up goes out no matter how the pedal feels.

As far as getting the part out, it's a real PITA. It's located about 6" behind the red circle.
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2006, 09:54 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

OMG - My Boxster just sent me an e-mail message with some **** in it so that I am not distracted by your post of your Boxster in pieces picture...

I would never have the ***** to do that...
Old 08-21-2006, 12:52 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can remove it withou pullign the dash i imagien that makes it a lot easier
Old 08-22-2006, 10:01 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
you can remove it withou pullign the dash i imagien that makes it a lot easier
I couldn't find a way to do it. I pulled the flexible duct out of the way, but there is other ducting behind the A/C controls that sticks out in front of one of the bolts. Since the bolts are recessed, I couldn't get my fat hands and a socket wrench up in there. Once I pulled the front of the dash off, I could reach above that duct and get the socket wrench in there.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:48 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
IF IT DOES TURN OUT TO BE A DME THE DME IS COVERED UNDER WARRENTY FOR 8 YEARS 80K MILES
99firehawk - Do you know a place on the internet that list all the parts/systems that are covered long after the factory warranty expired???

Much like the DME you mentioned?? Its nice to have a resource like you here
Old 08-22-2006, 02:26 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JUST THE DME AND THE CATS ITS 8YR 80K MILES FEDERAL MANDATE NOTHING ELSE IS COVERED UNDER THAT
Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 PM
porgt2
2nd Gear

So what happened? i have a boxster with the same issue. did you gt yours figured out?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 PM
BayAreaKid
1st Gear

So what is the fix on the problem? Did you ever fix the problem where your Boxster could not go over a certain amount of RPMs? My 2002 Boxster S with around 23k miles limits me to exactly 1800 RPMs and 10-12 mph in 1st gear. If I shift in to higher gears, the increase in speed is minimal. This problem with mine has happened before but went away for a while...now it is back.

Did you fix the problem? Anyone know of a solution for me?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you test the DME for problems?