Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Boxster. . . Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:31 PM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a Boxster. . . Advice?

Well, I'm considering getting out of my "older" Porsche (a 944) and into something a little newer, less maintenance-intensive and fun. I love the open-air appeal of the Boxster and the mid-engine design, and the fact that a lot of the earlier versions seem to have stabilized depreciation-wise. I'm more inclined to go for something a few years older and slightly used versus new simply because of the depreciation issue. Any advice, things I should look for (or look out for) on these cars? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Whats your price range? I would go for an S
Have you read the Boxster faq?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:38 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Early Boxster's 97-98-99 can have porus block / sliiping cylinder lining issues - catastrophic - requires replacement engine

All Boxsters can have Rear Main Seal issues - oil seepage / some engine replacements under warranty - new seal available (jury is out on this one)

All boxsters can have cracked/leaking coolant tank issues - leading to coolant loss at high temps/pressures - needs new tank fitting $700-$900

All boxsters can have oil seperator failure issues leading to excessive smoke from the exhaust (more than 30 secs at start)

Early models had electrical issues when water got into the doors - caused phantom lowering of windows during rainstorms!

MAF can get dirty leading to CEL coming on - clean MAF or replace

O2 sensors can get dirty leading to CEL coming on - clean sensor(s) or replace

High milage (over 60,000 miles) models can get 'clogged' valves in the secondary air system (used to burn extra exhaust gasses off for cleaner emissions) - causes CEL - requires replacement valves at dealer.

Early Boxsters had faulty underseat wiring/seatbelt catches leading to Airbag warning light - replce wiring loom under seats.

Get the warranty service history from the last dealership to look for on-going issues. Go via service manager and get the current owner to get you permission.

Also pull the local service history from the last dealership - ie all non warranty work.

Don't be surprised to find the engine has been swapped out if it had RMS or porous block issues.

Makes a great daily driver - brakes/oil/service are all reasonable away from the dealership - plastic window on older models can get misty - easy non-dealership replacement $400

Chris.

Last edited by cdodkin; 07-08-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:09 PM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

Thanks guys, I'll check out the FAQ. I'd like an "S" but realistically I think they're too expensive. I'm kind of looking in the $25-ish range. I'm also a little leery of any new ones strictly from a depreciation standpoint as mentioned.

700 bucks for a coolant tank? Cripes.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Thanks guys, I'll check out the FAQ. I'd like an "S" but realistically I think they're too expensive. I'm kind of looking in the $25-ish range. I'm also a little leery of any new ones strictly from a depreciation standpoint as mentioned.

In the 25K range you can be pretty close to a 00-01 S, I got mine with 37K miles for 27K, The market is kinda soft.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:22 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Don't let Chris' comprehensive list scare you. I have a 2000 S with none of the above. You should be able to find an early S for $25K. Make sure you find out its history and have it checked out. Boxsters are way fun. As mentioned, there are some great FAQ/buying guides out there.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:45 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

My 97 check engine light just came on . That said, This car has been a joy! No issues! Its not fast , but it is fun. I just bought a 993 , and I'm really having a hard time about selling he Boxster.Just find a well maintained example and you will be pleased. BTW many of the issues listed will have been fixed on the cars you see on the market. You can really beat people up when it comes to price because they have had trouble in the past with the car. Like, Oh, you had to have a new engine, thats scarey. I'm not so sure now. mmm maybe if the price were right.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:36 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '03 is the best money I have ever spent. I love this car. It is just plain fun as hell to drive. Handles like it's on rails, comfortable on a long trip, great looking, sound is like music. Buy one, an "S" if you can, but a non-S is fine too, upgrade the sound system, and take good care of it, and I seriously doubt that you will ever question if it was worth it. It's just too much flippin fun to drive !

Ask lots of questions and listen to the guys here before you buy, this is a good bunch of people on this list, who know what they are talking about, and they will help you a ton.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Blueman33
Pro

I am too looking at a boxster but not the S. There are numerous sales of non-S in the $17-21000 range and when/if i were to push into the $25-30k range I could get a 964, 993, or 996 (as i am starting to see 1999 MY asking below 30).

SLIDER, you state, "Its not fast , but it is fun. I just bought a 993 " Do you mean it's not fast compared to the 993, or it's just 'not fast'?

people love miatas, . I drove a miata and was underwhelmed. Great throttle response and hugged the corners, but no get up and go. 116 hp. i dunno, maybe a 2300 lb car. the 'fun factor' of a miata did not work for me because it had no punch to it.

I don't need lightning fast, but I need moderately fast accerlaton and faster braking. I have a lightly modified 951 with a really nice power curve and punch, proably around 235-40 hp to the wheels.

Anyone have experience with 951 and boxster? thanks.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:06 AM
Blueman33
Pro

Chris (or anyone else who knows the answer)

you state, "Early Boxster's 97-98-99 can have porus block / sliiping cylinder lining issues - catastrophic - requires replacement engine"

When a boxster engine goes bad, what are the terms of the factory warranty? And in particular since this seems to be known as a defect, does Porsche have a policy of replacing them, or no?

Thank you.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:12 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

"S" too much, go for at least a 2000 MY base 986, bigger engine, and with much of the previous MY probs solved.

I have a 2000 base with 78K miles as my daily driver with absolutly no probs to date

Can pick them up < $20K
Old 07-08-2006, 01:34 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueman33
Chris (or anyone else who knows the answer)

you state, "Early Boxster's 97-98-99 can have porus block / sliiping cylinder lining issues - catastrophic - requires replacement engine"

When a boxster engine goes bad, what are the terms of the factory warranty? And in particular since this seems to be known as a defect, does Porsche have a policy of replacing them, or no?

Thank you.
So officially, if under warranty, you get a replacement (re-manufactured) engine.

I had one on my '97, my wife has one on her '99.

Out of warranty you have to go to battle with PNA - and if you play your cards right, you can win.

My buddy has a '98 where the engine failed, porous block, well out of warranty - dealer wanted $10k - went to PNA with data showing he knew it was a 'known issue' - signed a non-disclosure doc, got an engine replacement.

Early model car - worth buying a comprehensive 3rd party warranty if the Porsche warranty has expired - engines are expensive!

So Porsche can be really helpful, when pushed - but officially there are no issues with the Boxster engine - as far as recalls etc are concerned.

Other engine swaps you hear about are usually RMS related - if the engine is out of spec, and no seal will ever fix it, warranty cars have had engines replaced.

This is made a great deal of on forums, but is basically Porsche doing a stella job of trying to cover-up a very embarasing issue - their water cooled cars leak oil - often! (German press estimates 50% water cooled models may have RMS issues - no real data to confirm numbers)

Unlikely to ever cause any real issues, as long as oil level is checked regularly - claims of clutch contamination are unlikely/rare

RMS has taken on mythical proportions online, because Porsche changed out so many engines - it's really nothing more than annoying IMHO.

Again, good 3rd party warranty, which covers RMS, block etc, good idea.

Don't let all this put you off - I'm just distilling the problems from many users - there are many more happy Boxster owners with no issues what so ever!

Hasn'ty put me off at all - in fact I just bought a new 996!

Chris.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:18 AM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

I would say its not fast period. I think thats why you hear people saying "get the S" Its not so under powered as to be no fun, but it IS NOT fast by any means.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:27 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

A lot of people are just fine with the 2.5L, but most would say it's pretty underpowered (from Porsche on purpose). A 2.7L is better (2000 and newer). I would say that a 3.2L is just adequate "fast", some say similar to a 993. If you take a 3.2L Boxster and put it on a diet along with a few mods, then it is similar "fast" to a base 996. HP is very expensive with Porsches. If "fast" is important to you, then get the S. There is no point in getting a base, then spending thousands on aftermarket parts to get it up to S levels. Just get the S to begin with. The S also has bigger brakes, 6-speed tranny, and various other upgrades. The only exception is some people buy a 2.5L or 2.7L Boxster only to pull the engine out and put in a 3.4L or bigger. The 2.5Ls are the lightest. There are a handful of 3.8L Boxsters ($$$) running around that would probably be considered "fast" but never TT fast. Fast is a relative term, but all Boxsters are fun and absurdly fun with some minor suspension modifications and sticky tires
Old 07-08-2006, 09:41 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche

Here is my .02 from someone who does not have a Boxster. For that amount of money, you cound get a nice 964 instead. I am not a fan of the early Boxsters from my experiences with them. A 964 is a more complete car and will hold its value better.

A couple of years ago, I had a boss with a 98' Boxster. It spent a lot of time in the shop for repairs. Theses weren't engine repairs, but electrical repairs. The power windows stopped working. The the power top/boot broke...twice. Be ready to replace the top about every 3 years. The rear windows clouds and in unuseable to see out of in about 3 years. To replace the window, you have to replace the top. These cars definitely lack something in terms fo power. I was always disappointed with it everytime I rode in it. I never liked how the engine vibration and noise was always beeting on you whether the top was up or down. No this is not just the sound of an exhaust, but hearing and feeling valves, timing chains and accessory belts all the time. I got to drive the car solo one day and truely learned there isn't any real power. If you came out of a 944S2 or 944 Turbo, will be shocked at how slow these early Boxsters are.

Before buying my Carrera, I decided to look into a MY03 Boxster S. In 2003, Boxsters got more power, some restyling and a glass rear window. I test drove one and the first thing that got to me was the top rattling where it met the windshield. My previous boss' Boxster did the same thing. It does have more power that makes it adequate, but it just didn't feel right using it. I noticed lots of initial understeer. Turn-in was poor with a lot of push. Punch the gas in a turn and the rear end would rotate, just not smoothly. I knew very quickly I was not going to buy a Boxster. It doesn't drive like a 944 or a 911. I like the feel of a 911, so for the price range you are looking at a 964 would be a much more fulfilling ride.

This does not mean that there is not a Boxster that I would like. If you want to step to a new one, I am all for it. I knwo your concerns for resale, but they are so improved. I recently had an 06' Boxster with a 5-sp manual as a service loaner. I am shocked at how well these cars have been improved.

First, the engine is completely isolated. You can't feel or hear the engine at all. In fact, when idling you can only hear the engine fan on the right side when it is running. You have to look at the tach to tell the engine is running. Porsche did some impressive magic with the exhaust. It now sounds like an aftermarket sports exhaust. It is very rich and powerful in tone. It really brings experience to driving the car.

The 2.7l is far improved too. It no longer feels like a slug off the line. Low end torque is good enough to chirp the tires from a stop and there is enough left on top to scratch them again shifting to 2nd. It isn't a torquey as the early S, but it isn't far off.

The new top seals wonderfully. It is a one-latch to unlock then full power back. It is amazing how tightly it seals again the windshield header without being latch. There is more room under the top. You don't feel claustophobic anymore. There is more leg room. In the early Boxsters, I have to set the seat all the way back; not in the new one. I can now recline the seat and have enough legroom.

Finally, the handling has improved. The is more front bite and far less understeer. The back end slides nicely like a RWD should. The new Boxster feels whole or complete, whereas the olders ones feel half complete. It is only going to get better next year with a 5hp increase in the base Boxster and a 15hp increase in the S. Knowing this, you should be able to get a good discount on the current ones.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 07-09-2006 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Boxster. . . Advice?