Sponsored by:

Rattle on cold starts

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:00 AM
blilley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle on cold starts

I have a 98' and when I start the car after letting it sit for maybe a day I get a rattle when starting the car. It only last for about 1 second, after that everything sounds normal. It sounds like metal vibrating or chattering. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:30 PM
type987s
Instructor

My 2006 does the same thing about once or twice a month. It has been in for service but they can’t reproduce the noise. If your Boxster makes the noise frequently and predictable a good shop should be able to identify the problem. It has been suggested that a throw-out bearing might be the culprit. Do you have to engage the clutch to start your car? Next time it grinds at start up try keeping the clutch depressed to see if it makes a difference. Or try starting the car in neutral without the clutch depressed if a 98 will do that.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:30 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Often on the Boxster, the cats break loose in the exhaust, and rattle momentarily until the back pressure pushes them into place.

More annoying than anything else.

Could this be what you're hearing?

Chris.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:51 PM
blilley
Intermediate

I opened up the engine compartment and stuck my head in there while my wife started the car to see if I could find where it was coming from. It had been sitting since Sunday, and of course it started up with no sound. So I will try again later. I think you are correct Chris it probably is the exhaust and it is annoying.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:38 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't these cars have a hydraulic tensioner? Many cars have that same rattle until the tensioner is pumped up and held tight the chain rattles around a lot until the slack is pulled back by engine oil. I know many Nissan engines have this problem, the VQ30DE and VQ35DE do anyway. (old Maxima and New Maxiima/350z engine)

Quick Reply: Rattle on cold starts