Sponsored by:

Air Intake Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 04:54 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Intake Mods

Anyone try buzzing out a little of the plastic out between the bottom two vent fins on the Air intake side?
Also what about enlarging the hole that goes through to the actual Airbox ?

My car is 6 years old now so I am finding myself in the mood to tinker with it more.

So has anyone tried anything like I described ?

Tom
'00 guards red boxter
Old 06-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

Have you de-snorked the intake? It seems to provide more flow.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:09 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

I buzzed out the plastic. Don't expect any HP gains, though. I just thought it looked stupid. I recall the earliest Boxsters did not have that piece there, but it was added later possibly because the vents broke too easy or maybe for more of that rain/flood-proofing. Desnork is good for maybe 1HP and sound. Beyond that, the bottlenecks are elsewhere.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:15 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I desnorkled it and then later added the EVO intake but I'm wanting to get it as open as possible in there to get more air in. I don't drive the car in bad weather anymore so rain is not a big worry. I am tempted to cut the area out that separates the intake/vent area from where the air box used to be. I beleive there is still only a small two inch hole in the wall that sits between the vent area and the intake airbox. I'll have to look again to be sure...

tom
Old 06-09-2006, 02:35 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

IIRC, behind the lower slats, it is largely blocked off anyway. You won't get more air in unless you get more air out. The next bottlenecks are in the airbox and the exhaust.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:36 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air flow and volume are only issues if the engine is trying to pull more than the airbox will allow to flow. In this case, the engine is not able to pull max air volume and HP suffers. However, it first has to be capable of exhausting more air flow than it can intake. This isn't the case in a stock boxster, as long as the filter is kept clean. Desnorkeling only changes the intake sound, it really doesn't add any HP - this has been proven on a dyno. The intake air temperature argument doesn't hold water from a thermodynamics standpoint either. The air passing through the intake tract doesn't spend enought time in that area to be significantly heated by engine heat. Even the EVO intake is of limited effectiveness unless the exhaust and chip programming changes accompany it.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by First986NJ
Air flow and volume are only issues if the engine is trying to pull more than the airbox will allow to flow. In this case, the engine is not able to pull max air volume and HP suffers. However, it first has to be capable of exhausting more air flow than it can intake. This isn't the case in a stock boxster, as long as the filter is kept clean. Desnorkeling only changes the intake sound, it really doesn't add any HP - this has been proven on a dyno. The intake air temperature argument doesn't hold water from a thermodynamics standpoint either. The air passing through the intake tract doesn't spend enought time in that area to be significantly heated by engine heat. Even the EVO intake is of limited effectiveness unless the exhaust and chip programming changes accompany it.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:20 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I have yet to Chip the car but I did remove the muffler and fabricated my own streight pipes. Car is rather loud at certain RPM's but sounds awsome when I am running it in the upper range. Headers, high flow cats, or a pair of cat bypass's were the next thing. Chip'n it will be last as it requires more than just me unbolting something.

Tom
Old 06-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,807 Likes on 1,714 Posts

I'm sure the claims are overblown but is there any merit to this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3ADS%3AMT%3A28
Old 06-14-2006, 02:39 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
I'm sure the claims are overblown but is there any merit to this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3ADS%3AMT%3A28
That looks ridiculous. I'm sure you lose HP.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:57 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snake oil. They all relate water going down the drain in the circle with that. How water moves from one place to another has nothing to do with how something like air travels. Thats like saying if you make a jet noise you can walk faster.

I have the evo intake and it sounds amazing. Here is a short clip I did of it.
http://www.etdracing.com/jim/evom2.mpg - 4.4mb Right Click Save As.

Sorry for the funny camera stuff in the middle there, had to change gears and was holding the camera with that hand lol.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:04 PM
type987s
Instructor

Sounds sweet,,,too bad you didn't do a before and after recording.
Was the EVO intake very hard to install?
Old 06-17-2006, 09:01 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by type987s
Sounds sweet,,,too bad you didn't do a before and after recording.
Was the EVO intake very hard to install?
Yeha, the video wouldn't have even picked up the intake noise before to be honest. It doesn't really sound as loud in the video as it really is.

It depends on what you consider hard. I built my own motor in my Talon put it all back together and re-installed it in my car over a weekend and that was fairly easy to be honest. So easy is relative...

It took me 4 hours, almost 3 of which was getting to the point where you can remoave the stock air box. It's all pretty accessable from the top and you don't need to jack up the car or be on a hoist. There is one bolt for the air box you must get to from under the car but you just reach up and use your sockets. I could do it now in 2 hours I would say having done it.

If your squeemish about undoing bolts to the intake manifold and moving the throttle body around and stuff like that then it may not be for you. My arms took a beating tho cause the edge of the opening for the engnie access hole is quite sharp and they were laying over it all the time so looks like I got in a fight with a cat or something. Other then that, I would say yeah home install is totally possible for anybody with patients and home tools.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:37 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

My arms took a beating tho cause the edge of the opening for the engnie access hole is quite sharp and they were laying over it all the time so looks like I got in a fight with a cat or something.
Your right about that, my knuckles took a beating. I'd say the hardest part is getting the stock intake out, after that, everything is a breeze.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:42 PM
type987s
Instructor

thanks for the advice...i'm not much of a wrench and guess i'll pay someone to do it. i assume installation on the 987 is similar and requires removing stuff to get the airbox out? does anyone know?

at a recent track day a 996 driver told me it was a 10 min install on his car :-(

Quick Reply: Air Intake Mods