Sponsored by:

Got wet with top down, won't revv past 2K RPM

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 03:05 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got wet with top down, won't revv past 2K RPM

The other night I got caught in a monsoon and the Boxster got wet with the top down. Quickly raised the top, dried the interior and fired up the car, no problems.
An hour later I got back in and the throttle was stuck at 2,000 RPM. Holiday weekend big problem. Made it home but the car was iddling funny and on the way up the drive way the car stalled. I restarted and the engine fired 100% and the throttle was perfect again. THe Check engine light came out and I got an error message P1502 which according to Renntech.org is :
"Fuel Pump Relay Output Stage - Short Circuit to B+ "

I let it dry out over night and let it sit in the sun to dry out the interior. But the starting the car still produced a stuck throttle with sputtering iddle. After intentionaly stalling it twice it fired up no problem.

This morning I brought it to Ray Catena Porsche here in New Jersey. I gave the car to the service consultant and told him that the car had an error code P1502 fuel pump realy short circuit and that I cleared the code myself. I also asked him to look at that annoying infrared sensor that has come loose and is lowering the window every time I go over a bump. They also offered to remove two dings (door and rear quarter) for a good price.

Twenty minutes later the consultant returns with the tech saying I need a new hard top relay and throttle body.

I informed the guys that the hardtop relay ($100+) is brand new purchased within the last month at their parts desk. He said he would take a look at it again.

Now for my big problem,
Initially I didn't inform the service consultant that the car got wet with top down and started acting up only an hour later. I told them about the incident and asked if they could simply replace the fuel pump relay and see if it the car would fire up correctly since the error message said "short circuit...."
Their response was that they put in a throttle body from another car and the car started up fine.
What's peculiar is that the throttle will act perfectly fine if I can get the car started correctly from the get go. This only happens if I stall the car intentionally and imediately attempt a restart. I drove a long distance to the dealer (I know bad idea) shfting gears in out of neutral and the throtle/idle were perfect. As soon as the car is turned off back to limp mode.

any thoughts? could the throttle body electronics have gotten wet with the top down?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sorry I have no input for you but what device are you using to scan the OBD codes?
Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 03:47 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Actron
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Actro...43317479QQrdZ1
plugs into the "parallell port" under the dash, near the door.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I have the Actron
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Actro...43317479QQrdZ1
plugs into the "parallell port" under the dash, near the door.
Thanks, I have a VAG-COM that worked on my old Audi S4 and the wifes Passat, I have been wanting to pick somthing up to read the codes on the Boxster.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I would advise them to give you your defective part(s) so it can be installed and your money refunded once the real problem is located. You are not paying then top dollar to guess, we can do that and buy parts our self, cheaper.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:20 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Turboflyer. They're just guessing. I can't see how what you've described could be the TB. Your best bet would be to try to find a wiring diagram and see if any of the harnesses/relays go through the interior to get wet. I can't imagine your interior got that soaked, anyway. Otherwise, could just be coincidence with something else. My dealer can't diagnose cr@p. Parts are often cheaper than the guessing by your dealer if you can do some R/R yourself. I believe the immobilizer is under the driver's seat, and I might expect something with that trying to force it into limp mode but something else is telling it really can't. Good luck...
Old 06-06-2006, 09:45 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car got soaked at Niagara Falls last weekend with the top down but it still runs fine. The interior was sopping wet as I stopped to take pics and the fall out in the air from the falls soaks the road etc, just like it was raining really lightly. My seat was wet when I got back in the car and it still drove perfectly and still does.

Must be a string of bad luck comin your way perfect lap.

Quick Reply: Got wet with top down, won't revv past 2K RPM