Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

Coolant Level Good, Light Blinking....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006 | 01:51 PM
Moonface35
AutoX

Exclamation Coolant Level Good, Light Blinking....

Ok, I posted a little while ago about temperature light blinking on occasion.

Well, I checked the coolant level when the engine was cool, and it is at max.

Any ideas on why this could be happening? Just started recently.

99 Boxster, with about 69,000 miles on it.

I am the second owner, and obviously don't know all that much.
Old 05-25-2006 | 04:53 PM
Loren
Drifting

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5
Old 05-25-2006 | 05:41 PM
Moonface35
AutoX

Smile

Thank you. I'm thinking since My coolant level is good, and the light is flashing slowly, that it is my blower. At least it is a start.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2006 | 02:37 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

When mine did this, it was the temp sensor in the engine compartment. It controls the blower so when it failed, so did the blower and the light went off. The sensor and/or blower are very easy to replace.
Old 05-26-2006 | 10:24 AM
blilley
Intermediate

I am having the same problem with my 98, when I cold start my car the light flashes slowly; however when my car is warm and I start it, it does not flash.
Old 05-26-2006 | 12:08 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blilley
I am having the same problem with my 98, when I cold start my car the light flashes slowly; however when my car is warm and I start it, it does not flash.
After you read Loren's thread about what the warning light says, try some testing to figure out what is not working right. Here's what I did to figure out it was the temp sensor:

1) I warmed the engine up and turned the A/C to full blast to see if the engine compartment fan came on. It didn't so I figured that was my problem.

2) Pulled out the relay for the compartment fan and tested the inbound connection for current with a multi-meter. Current was getting to the relay box so everything before that was good.

3) Swapped the relay for the compartment fan with one for something else (can't remember, but I usually use the horn relay if it matches) then warmed the engine up and made sure the A/C was on full blast. At regular temp with the A/C on the compartment fan should come on so the relay should "flip the switch". First I checked to see if the item I swapped the relay with was working. If so, then the relay was good. Then I tested the outbound connection with a multi-meter and there was no current so something was not telling it to turn on.

4) To see if the fan shorted and maybe took something with it, I removed the fan's electrical connector and connected it directly to a jump start battery pack I have. I flipped the switch on the battery pack and the fan spun just fine so I knew it wasn't the fan.

5) After looking over the electrical diagram (get the Bentley book) to see what was between them, all that was left was the engine compartment temp sensor. The local dealer had one so I replaced it and all is well.

Total time with diagnostics was 2 hours not including the drive to the dealer.
Old 05-26-2006 | 01:37 PM
blilley
Intermediate

Great email delirous, I hope to have time this weekend to check it out. BTW your Schilling Family website has helped me out immensely with the oil change and pad replacement project for this weekend.

Thank you,
blilley

Quick Reply: Coolant Level Good, Light Blinking....