Sponsored by:

stereo recommendation needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 07:54 PM
dgreenb1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo recommendation needed

Just bought a 1999 986 and would like to replace the head unit. I would like a volume **** and the ability to play my Ipod through it. I would also prefer if it didn't look like something a teenager would want-ie. no incredible light shows. Can anyone recommend something?
TIA
DG
Old 05-14-2006, 08:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There are literally hundreds of possibilities (aftermarket).

If you prefer to stay OEM (Becker), then you can buy a Becker headunit, single CD, and then buy the AUX-IN cable from Becker for $20.
This will allow you to listen to your iPod, but not control it from the headunit; if you want to do that, then I'm afraid you will have to buy an aftermarket headunit.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:37 AM
mreric
Advanced

I just installed the Kenwood excelon kdc-x689. I really like it. It has everything I need. XM (or sirius), HDradio, aux in (Ipod) and can have changer if so desired. but the best thing is that when you turn car off, the face plate coems out, flips around and goes back in, it looks like a plain piece of black plastic, like either the face is already missing, or the radio has been deleted... pretty sweet.

It does have teenager-loke graphics, but they can be turned off.

I really like it. looked at several others, but really picked this one due to the face flipping thing. It is (I believe) a discontinued model, so may not be available allover anymore. Crutchfield had it for an ungodly $349, nut I got mine off of ebay new unopened for like $200 wth shipping.

While you are doing this all, put rear speakers in. I already had the storage compartmenty thing, and did not want to spend the $ on Porsche's (made of gold?) rear speaker kit, and instead reproduced it for like $30 or so by getting a sheet of black plastic form a custom stereo place, making a bracket that fits in the groove in teh cmpartment where the factory kit goes, and installing 3 inch rounds, and tweeters in both sides... REAL simple mod if you are at all skilled with cutting palstic and fabbing up stuff.

Here's the catch... If you do the rear speaker mod and have the factory amps in the front to run front speakers and subs, you will need to re-run speaker lines from new headunit to front speakers, and cut the line from amp to speakers, since you will want to controll front speakers with rear speakers, and have the subs on a dedicated line from the nre headunit.

Make sense? maybe?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:45 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Have you considered high end model Eclipse and Nakamichis? My dad has a Eclipse and its look semi OEM and boy oh boy the sound paired with a Zapco amp and MB Quarts is amazing,easily the most clear music you will ever hear. Im sure a Eclipse or Nakamichi would have an aux input for your iPod.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:21 PM
dgreenb1
Intermediate

Thank you for your suggestions.
DG
Old 05-15-2006, 09:22 PM
dgreenb1
Intermediate

Thank you for your suggestions. I will have a look at the Kenwood, Eclipse and Nakamichi.
DG

Quick Reply: stereo recommendation needed