Water in footwell behind driver's seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 05:57 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Water in footwell behind driver's seat

Hi all,

As some of you may have read I just bought my '01 Box in Dallas last week and drove it back to Canada. The first night I had the car, in Tennessee, there was a torrential downpour and I found a the carpet behind/beneath the driver's seat was soaked. I dried the area up as best as I could, and since then the weather has been drier.

When I got home, I popped the top halfway and checked the two drain holes in the plastic tray beneath the top, and did manage to blow some dried leaf bits out of the drains with some compressed air. I poured some water down each, and they seemed to flow pretty good, so I figured it should be the end of my problem.

Well, today I drove in the rain and found the carpet wet again. Any thoughts on next steps to trace down this leak? Are there any other common leak causes? BTW, I have searched the forums under "water" and "leak" and read the article on Dieter's webpage.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

AG
Ottawa, Canada
Old 05-15-2006, 09:21 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Upon closer inspection, it appears that there is a crack/abrasion in the styrofoam tray that's beneath the top system... has anyone else encountered this? what have you used to repair it?

Thanks,

AG
Old 05-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how to fix it, you may be able to try various adhesives and find one that works. Just DO NOT allow it to continue. It will fill up the recess under the seat where the black box sits and then you get big problems. Why not just buy a new tray instead of trying to fix the old one?
Old 05-22-2006, 07:53 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boxsterund914
I don't know how to fix it, you may be able to try various adhesives and find one that works. Just DO NOT allow it to continue. It will fill up the recess under the seat where the black box sits and then you get big problems. Why not just buy a new tray instead of trying to fix the old one?

I patched the abrasion the other night with "Automotive GOOP", and it seems to be watertight now. As for your suggestion on replacing the tray, how difficult is it? It looks like the top system has to be removed.

regards,

Ayan
Old 05-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the abrasion is patched it should be fine.

Quick Reply: Water in footwell behind driver's seat